BW Broadcast transmitter

FM does it with frequency!
oldradioguy

BW Broadcast transmitter

Post by oldradioguy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:36 pm

Sent my guy up to my isolated 4WD only tower site to raise the antenna a bit and crank up the power on my TX300v2 this morning after my FCC grant. When he got there, the power level that normally floats around the little screen was frozen, and no amount of button pushing would unlock the screen even though the station was on the air. I told him to hard boot the transmitter to reset the digital and when it powered back up. Nothing, no RF, nothing on the screen, no ethernet. So the RF deck was fine, just no control.

You have to be at the transmitter to get BW to call you back. Has anyone ever experienced this before. And if so, is this a user-replaceable board or is it back to the factory?

NECRAT
Site Admin

Re: BW Broadcast transmitter

Post by NECRAT » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:35 pm

oldradioguy wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:36 pm
Sent my guy up to my isolated 4WD only tower site to raise the antenna a bit and crank up the power on my TX300v2 this morning after my FCC grant. When he got there, the power level that normally floats around the little screen was frozen, and no amount of button pushing would unlock the screen even though the station was on the air. I told him to hard boot the transmitter to reset the digital and when it powered back up. Nothing, no RF, nothing on the screen, no ethernet. So the RF deck was fine, just no control.

You have to be at the transmitter to get BW to call you back. Has anyone ever experienced this before. And if so, is this a user-replaceable board or is it back to the factory?
After the reboot can you get into the unit via ethernet? I had a unit doing some weird control issues (not to the extreme you're talking about), that required a firmware upgrade to fix it. Which did resolve it. Have you contacted them yet? When we had this issue, they were very quick to respond on it.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

oldradioguy

Post by oldradioguy » Mon May 01, 2017 8:15 am

Nope, no ethernet access. The little link lights not on on either end. They haven't gotten back with me yet, but of course it went down on Sundays as they always do. Pretty sure it happened weeks ago. The LPFM's computer and mine both went down back then. I guess the transmitter would have stayed on as long as the power was on.

davek

Post by davek » Mon May 01, 2017 5:03 pm

Sounds like a switch-mode power supply refused to re-start after being turned off...

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Wed May 03, 2017 9:39 am

I have a client with a TX600 "V2" unit which has started losing AES decoding on an annoyingly frequent basis. It just transmits digital hash on the air. Power cycling does no good, but (usually) rebooting it from the remote user interface clears the issue. Sounds like you can't even get that far.

I'm beginning to not like these transmitters. Let us know what you find out about yours, please.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Wed May 03, 2017 6:19 pm

Please do report back on what you find and how BW is to work with. I have a couple of clients pushing back on Nautel because BW's prices are lower.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

Chris Arnesen

Post by Chris Arnesen » Thu May 04, 2017 12:18 pm

We've been running a TX600 v2 continuously for the last 2 years without any issues. We are using a Omnia One and Audemat FMB10, so we're just using the composite input on the transmitter. If the deviation goes too low for more than 30 seconds, it sends the engineering volunteers an email so we can see what's going on.

Overall, seems to be a winner for the value!
Sincerely,
Chris Arnesen, CBNT, CRO

dbuckley

Post by dbuckley » Thu May 04, 2017 6:35 pm

We've just ordered a couple of TR300s for translator sites, and a TX1000 as a main TX backup, so I hope these are isolated incidents.

I've had email conversations with BW, and they seem to be responsive people, so maybe give them a call...?

RodeoJack

Post by RodeoJack » Fri May 05, 2017 5:05 pm

I've got a bunch of BW gear out there... some 25 or so units of various sizes. I've had one power supply and one exciter board fail. Both units were returned to BW, which turned the repairs around quickly at reasonable prices.

The failure rate I've experienced has been no worse than any other brand, other than Nautel, which has been ridiculously reliable here.

Just to be safe though, I keep a TX-150, a Ptek 1kW amp and a couple of exciters in the shop, along with plenty of coax adapters. I may not be able to keep a client running at full power, but at least they'd be on the air.

W2XJ

Post by W2XJ » Sat May 06, 2017 6:02 pm

Kevin

The thing with Nautel is the additional features if you need them. Buying a cheaper TX and then adding other boxes for the missing features is just false economy. My experience with BW is that they are not totally honest and talk down to the customers as though they assume we are all morons.

RodeoJack

Post by RodeoJack » Sun May 07, 2017 3:54 pm

Interesting.

My experience with them has been completely different.

British sensibilities, maybe?

I'd love to have Nautel everywhere. Unfortunately, not everyone can budget for a Cadillac. For them, BW fits many applications very well, IMHO.