Required acres of land

FM does it with frequency!
demwaves

Required acres of land

Post by demwaves » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:53 pm

Experts,
Please tell me how many acres of land I will need to erect a guyed tower with a height of 190 feet.
Regards.
Denis

TPT

Re: Required acres of land

Post by TPT » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:20 pm

We have a 225' guyed tower on a half acre--5 sets of guys. In "almost Heaven" West Virginia, but a heck of a place to find flat land on the top of a ridge.

Guys out at 2/3 height --or 125'--more reasonable plan. If you went with a square plot of 260 X 260' that would be about an acre and one half. However, if you draw out the locations of the radials, you could dredge u8p your H.S. trig to figure out that about an acre would work.

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:42 pm

Ouch on a half-acre...sometimes the land just isn't available.
At 50% guyed, which is very doable, it'd be a plot of 190 X 190 or 0.8 acres. Local zoning may require more, if they require you own any land onto which the tower may fall. Not that they ever fall and lay out their full length..but arguing has always been fruitless. Will there be a radial ground system for AM use?
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:32 pm

Most jurisdictions in populated areas are deathly afraid of lawsuits so they require 100% fall radius. That means 2.6 acres, a 190 foot radius from the tower.

If your local permitting agency is not quite so inane, you can easily tuck one of these into a corner of a field somewhere at 50% guy radius and get by on 1/3 acre.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

TPT

Post by TPT » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:40 am

In case anyone is interested--pull up 2354 Greens Run Rd., St. Marys, WV on Google or Google Earth. The small building behind the tower houses our Nautel NV10lt, the other larger building is the studio building.

awsherrill

Post by awsherrill » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:31 pm

Not that they ever fall and lay out their full length..
Actually we had a tower fall in more or less a straight line. It was a 280-foot AM stick and was literally blown flat by a tornado.

The wind lifted the base insulator up off the bottom pivot plate and everything fell sideways. The tower landed diagonally across the lot so it didn't go in the street, or onto adjacent property. The insulator, incredibly enough, was still intact. Top beacon, not so much.

I'm at a loss to explain how it managed to fall the way it did. You could probably spend all day working out which guy wires failed in which order. It just looked like a giant hand slapped it to the ground.

Feel free to *not* quote me when trying to get your tower through permitting. The last couple of tower collapses I have seen have been anything but typical.

TPT

Post by TPT » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:13 pm

Here's a YouTube video of a 350 foot tower coming down in Parkersburg. The lease got too expensive & the equipment renting company that owned the land wanted more space for their bulldozers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aP6wXaF2VU