Tower collapse list 2011

Have a question or an idea for the Wiki? Want to tell the world about a new entry? This is the place!
NECRAT
Site Admin

Tower collapse list 2011

Post by NECRAT » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:17 pm

As you may or may not know, 2011 seems to be an exceptionally bad year for Broadcast Tower collapses/catastrophic failures.

Over at our WIKI (did you even know we have one? You should check it out sometime.), I have compiled a list of broadcast tower collapses from 2011 alone. Hopefully this is the end of the list, but with Hurricaine season just warming up, who's to know.

As always, with any part of the WIKI, you can post a correction needed in this forum , or register to edit it there. All registrations are hand-approved by yours truly (so bear with me if there is a slight delay). You don't need to register to view any part of it, however.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

awsherrill

Re: Tower collapse list 2011

Post by awsherrill » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:27 am

You can add to the list:

WQDR/WCLY (diplexed) Raleigh, NC; tower collapsed 4/16/11; ASRN 1006104; 87.1m (286 feet); tornado

Thanks...

Shane

Post by Shane » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:01 am

KBHW, Loman, MN 7/17/11 650'

KLVV (not sure but attempting to find out if it was main station's tower) in Oklahoma in May from tornado.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

Shane

Post by Shane » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:03 am

Hey Mike,

So we're aware of the wiki, just some of us are not inclined to log in with yet ANOTHER account and ANOTHER password! :lol:
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:36 pm

Shane wrote:Hey Mike,

So we're aware of the wiki, just some of us are not inclined to log in with yet ANOTHER account and ANOTHER password! :lol:
Why not use the same one for there as you do here?
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:24 pm

If you've every dealt with a Wiki, you know that it is extremely difficult to manage if it's "open". Spambots often troll for Wikis and once they find them they load them up with spam. NECRAT has spent a lot of time creating and maintaining the Wiki as a labor of love. To protect it (and to save him from having to spend a bunch of time, for free, cleaning up the spam) we decided to force registration to edit.

You don't need to register to benefit from the information there, only to contribute. It's our hope that if you have something to contribute that you sign up and do so, just as you do here. It's a great way to help out your fellow Engineers and to contribute to the community!

However, there is no obligation or requirement to do so.
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

Shane

Post by Shane » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:34 pm

NECRAT wrote:
Shane wrote:Hey Mike,

Why not use the same one for there as you do here?
That's probably what I would do. Couldn't resist being a smart aleck (and to give a reason for why I posted it here instead of there).

I'm all for anti-spam measures.

BTW, I'm told the station that lost the tower in Oklahoma was actually KZTH.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---