Carmakers to drop broadcast receivers?

Current events discussions relating to Broadcast Engineering
Baylink

Carmakers to drop broadcast receivers?

Post by Baylink » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:43 pm

I don't know what to make of this.

Could people really be this stupid and shortsighted?

http://ericrhoads.blogs.com/ink_tank/20 ... radio.html

Deep Thought

Re: Carmakers to drop broadcast receivers?

Post by Deep Thought » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:41 pm

Pundits punditing.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

kylefree

Post by kylefree » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:56 am

There were vehicles without FM radios as late as into the 1980's.
New and improved www.YourMidwestMedia.net message board. Also covering Canada, the Rockies, Southwest, South/Southeast, Texas, and New England states.

rockmanac

Post by rockmanac » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:06 am

I don't know about completely dropping radios from cars. I know I don't have a CD player in my car (by design...as I have a "media receiver")

Now... I can tell you when I'm listening to the radio up here, it's usually parked on 89.3 The Current. But then again, we're spoiled by having a NonComm AAA type station here in the cities. In other cities I've been in, I've found I tend to gravitate to the all news channels (105.9/780 Chicago, 1070 LA) or NPR over commercial music stations.

But, then again, I do spend quite a lot of time listening to Spotify in the car, at work, in the house, etc.
Addie Chernow
Director, WCCO-TV
WWW - @chernowa - KC9JHY

Formerly:
OverDrive Operator, WKOW-TV
Director/Technical Director, WKOW-TV
Director/MCO, WREX-TV

kylefree

Post by kylefree » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:16 am

rockmanac wrote:I don't know about completely dropping radios from cars. I know I don't have a CD player in my car (by design...as I have a "media receiver")

Now... I can tell you when I'm listening to the radio up here, it's usually parked on 89.3 The Current. But then again, we're spoiled by having a NonComm AAA type station here in the cities. In other cities I've been in, I've found I tend to gravitate to the all news channels (105.9/780 Chicago, 1070 LA) or NPR over commercial music stations.

But, then again, I do spend quite a lot of time listening to Spotify in the car, at work, in the house, etc.
A lot of people with older cars buy aftermarket stereos with cd players.

As for the Current, it's pretty much the only game in MSP right now since Cities 97 has gone more mainstream sounding Modern AC.
New and improved www.YourMidwestMedia.net message board. Also covering Canada, the Rockies, Southwest, South/Southeast, Texas, and New England states.