ARRL: FCC proposing to shrink down Enforcement Bureau, Close Some Field Offices

Current events discussions relating to Broadcast Engineering
NECRAT
Site Admin

ARRL: FCC proposing to shrink down Enforcement Bureau, Close Some Field Offices

Post by NECRAT » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:11 pm

FCC plans on shrinking down the size of the Enforcement Bureau, closing several field offices.

http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-enforcemen ... clnk&gl=us
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

kc8gpd

Re: ARRL: FCC proposing to shrink down Enforcement Bureau, Close Some Field Offices

Post by kc8gpd » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:18 am

my suspicion is they will setup remote controlled SDR Based monitoring stations all around the USA likely on federally controlled buildings such as post offices and federal buildings in various cities and when a problem is detected on these remote monitoring stations the strike teams mentioned in the article will rush to the scene to do enforcement activities. it might work but my personal opinion is the amount of agents in the field now are overburdened as it is and technology cannot replace the needed human presence in this area of FCC enforcement and i think it may work in the short term but in the long term will prove to be a disaster for the enforcement bureau. time will only tell if i am right or not.
kc8gpd

"The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

KPJL FM

Re: ARRL: FCC proposing to shrink down Enforcement Bureau, Close Some Field Offices

Post by KPJL FM » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:18 am

They'll end up eliminating the EB offices, sans the main office in DC. Then, they'll require every station to submit (yet another) a report quarterly as to the state and makeup of the Public File and Children's Advertising requirements, along with Tower Lighting, EAS and Main Studio facility. With the report, each station will have to send a filing fee, roughly equal to what the EB has been collecting in NAL's for the last few years, plus increases for inflation. Few employees, no real estate, and same or more revenue. Modernization at its finest. :shock:
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

kc8gpd

Post by kc8gpd » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:37 am

i see a nice FIM-71 in my future test equipment line up for pennies on the dollar from a government auction ;-) i also see a future with pirates going crazy to the point of FM becoming CB.
kc8gpd

"The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."