The Looming Engineering Age Crisis

Current events discussions relating to Broadcast Engineering
ChuckG

Re: The Looming Engineering Age Crisis

Post by ChuckG » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:22 pm

I am constantly heckled by the older engineers for not remembering what I consider "reference book" materials which I would rather look up in a pocket reference or iPhone app than to memorize
That is so completely opposite my experience, those older than me have gone out of their way to be helpful, encouraging and supportive of any new folks entering the field. Sorry your experience hasn't been the same.

The rest of it..well, pretty much SOP. Hedge clippers one day, network analyzer the next. Spare parts, manuals... some stations are wonderful, others use the transmitter site as a giant dumpster.

The money has never been there in broadcast engineering as compared to other professions that require similar skill sets.
We do it because we enjoy it, for many it's what we'd do as a hobby, only with a paycheck. It's definitely become tougher...many stations no longer keep technical people on staff and collections has become an issue for some contractors.

It's pretty normal for the senor folks to make more money although I understand the frustration those below feel if there is no upward path. Most of us work well beyond normal retirement years.

You mentioned working for an "agency". What's that?
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin