Inexpensive Audio Cards

Bill DeFelice

Inexpensive Audio Cards

Post by Bill DeFelice » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:16 pm

As far as "non professional" cards go I previously used the M-Audio line of cards, but they were for the older PCI style buss. I now find myself having folks who want to connect their computer workstations to audio consoles and I have yet to find a replacement solution to recommend.

Not wanting to steer folks into very expensive cards does anyone have any recommendations for perhaps a prosumer audio card or, as much as I'd hate to go that route, a USB or Firewire alternative?
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

TPT

Re: Inexpensive Audio Cards

Post by TPT » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:30 pm

Had same problem when a local college got a "new" computer for their production studio--and the old "Card D" wouldn't work under Windows 7.
Went with an outboard USB device. I remember it wasn't that expensive--around $50--but don't remember the brand. Maybe an Alesis.
Anyway--worked fine.

Ray

Post by Ray » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:25 am

I've also been looking at audio cards.
I found a Digigram HR series on ebay that we are going to use for our on-air card.
It is about $580 new but with patience, you can get one for around $100-$150 on an ebay auction.
Unlike the consumer grade cards, it has balanced audio in/out for better noise immunity. It also has AES digital in/out that will connect directly to our digital audio board.
I've heard that the old Digigrams have driver issues when using windows 7, so my thought was to get a current model.
That being said, I have been doing tests with the high end external sound blaster cards and the audio sounds fine to me.

Ray

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:05 pm

@Ray: Only problem is if those cards require the older PCI slot that new computers don't have it won't help me. I had a bunch of the old Antex ISA audio cards and unless you find some dirt old computer or motherboard they're pretty much useless too - and that's not accounting for the availability of proper drivers for a more modern automation system.

@TPT: Thanks for the info on the USB cards. I'm not all that keen on having yet another cable that could come loose but I'd bet the price point of a decent quality USB audio card would be acceptable to most folks.
Webmaster
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net

Ray

Post by Ray » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:04 pm

I'm installing a Digigram VX222E card tonight for the first time. It uses the PCI express slot. This is the same as the VX222HR but with the PCI express slot interface. I don't know how long they have been selling the PCIe version. I hope I don't run into any problems but I've read that they can be tempermental to install/configure

Ray

Ray

Post by Ray » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:03 pm

They have a new PCI express version out. I"m hoping to install a VX222e tonight which is the PCI express version of the VX222HR.
I"ve heard they can be tedious to install sometimes, so hopefully things will go well.

Thanks

Ray

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:11 am

I hope you keep us updated, Ray. I know I would be interested in how well that particular card works.
Webmaster
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net

TPT

Post by TPT » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:39 am

If you are working with folks who want to have an outboard console connected directly to their computer, the simplest way to go would be a small console with a USB output--rather than a sound card. My ops manager has such a set-up at home--we have Teamviewer, and in bad weather he'll load content from home, rather than try to get in.

Also has the advantage that you can install the console on a desk with the computer out of the way of the work surface. All the audio connections are accessible, just one cable--the UISB cable--goes to the computer.

The device I got for the college (wish I could remember the brand) was just an interface device--balanced in and out with 1/4" TRS jacks. Which made it an easy replacement for the Card D, which also used 1/4 TRS. We hid it out of site to keep the kiddies from playing with levels.

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:00 am

Ray wrote:I don't know how long they have been selling the PCIe version.
For at least 3-4 years.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:04 am

Bill DeFelice wrote:I know I would be interested in how well that particular card works.
Bill -

I installed a VX222E a few years ago. It worked great, and older software that could handle a VX222 ran fine with the VX222E under XP Pro.

I have installed several VX222 cards over the years and other Digigram cards, have loved them, and have never had a problem with any of them. Antex and ASI were long my preferred pro sound cards, but Digigram has been my preference for more than a decade.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:38 pm

I thank you all for your feedback. Depending on the budget I may venture out in trying a USB solution and see how reliability stands.
Webmaster
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net

Xenirad

Post by Xenirad » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:24 pm

If you have a PCI slot I recommend the MIA Midi from Echo audio has balanced 1/4 inch in and out but I think it is out of production. For USB the Henry Engineering USB Matchbox II works very well but it is about $500.
Fred Francis, Owner Xenirad Broadcast Engineering http://www.xenirad.com

TPT

Post by TPT » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:57 am

Lexicon Alpha--about $50 from various sources. Balanced in and out using 1/4" TRS jacks; USB to the computer.

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:19 pm

@TPT: I totally forgot about the Alpha. That's so affordable I could bank a spare or two in case of disaster, too.
Webmaster
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net

radiowave911

Post by radiowave911 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:42 pm

We just had a need to finally move to Skype for some remote sports broadcasts. I got an inexpensinve Behringer USB board (Xenix Q1202USB) from Amazon for around $100. 12 inputs (4 MIC/LINE using XLR for MIC and 1/4" TRS for line, plus 4 more stereo line inputs paired together using 1/4" TRS and for balanced or unbalanced audio in). Works well for us - when the laptop behaves. That's another story altogether, though 8)
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.wmssfm.com
http://www.sbe41.org
http://halloweenhauntings.org