Inexpensive Audio Cards

Shane

Re: Inexpensive Audio Cards

Post by Shane » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:52 pm

I'm sure you know the drill. msconfig and turn off all the unnecessary updaters and such. You can probably disable some services, too.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

Jim Sofonia

Post by Jim Sofonia » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:59 pm

I use the built in mother board audio through out the entire station. I have small audio transformers spliced in immediately at the in/out connectors. Works fine.

dbuckley

Post by dbuckley » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:32 pm

Jumping in here: We've got an Audioscience ASI6514 which appears to be a fine audio card, but it is PCI based, and there is going to be a time when PCI slots are unobtanium, they are already "rare".

I'm relatively recent to broadcast technology, and had never heard of Audioscience until recently, and thus was not aware that these were pretty much the only cards in town for broadcast work. But I cant find any reason why. Certainly, this brand is not used in music production, theatre or theme park playback, or anywhere else I'm familiar with.

The only reason I can think that these cards are still relevant today is (a) some software has specific support for them, which isn't relevant in our case, or (b) this class of card has higher reliability than a other solutions. Or possibly its a historic thing, back in the day, the on-board DSP mixing allowed a PC of the day (which were glacial by today's standards) to do impressive audio processing.

I'm loath to recommend that we buy another one of these cards in a more current bus form factor without understanding why. There are plenty of cards with balanced out, which is all we really need.

What am I missing here...?

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:19 pm

dbuckley wrote:What am I missing here...?
It all basically comes down to what does your automation software support. Some are laughably behind current technology.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

dbuckley

Post by dbuckley » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:12 pm

Deep Thought wrote:It all basically comes down to what does your automation software support.
All we need is standard windows audio, nothing special or odd. If windows can use it as an output device, we can play out through it.

RodeoJack

Post by RodeoJack » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:58 pm

I'm also a big fan of Audioscience. They're not the cheapest on the planet, which may be part of why you don't hear much about them outside of industrial circles. They're also a combination of AES and XLR... no RCA, 1/8" or 1/4" TRS, which may also put off some pro-sumer users. Newer versions are PCIe.

I first ran into them in '03 or '04, when I first started working with Simian. Have never had one fail.