Studer CD Repair Absurdity?

Bill DeFelice

Studer CD Repair Absurdity?

Post by Bill DeFelice » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:23 pm

The repair itself was pretty uneventful. Two Studer A721 CD players in the studio with one having a single channel out. After checking the unbalanced output and discovering both were good I checked the balanced line amplifier card and discovered one side was partially out. In considering the age of the unit I ordered enough capacitors from Mouser to recap the entire board. Recapped and re-installed the board and the deck is back to operational order. That's not where the absurdity is.

Every so often I decide to browse ebay just to see what equipment is going for, sometimes looking for a deal for the school radio projects I'm doing in my district. In browsing Studer parts I ran across listings for "Black Gate" electrolytic caps. On one auction that indicates a successful sale of an item just one of these 1000µf, 16vdc capacitors went for $79.99.

Am I missing something here? When I ordered my caps via Mouser's online ordering system I actually selected the "audio" type selection and my caps were a fraction of this price and likely more in line with what we'd all expect them to sell for. Is this really some sort of "audiophile" capacitor or what? I've never heard of the brand nor have I ever heard of such a crazy price for such a common component.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

kkiddkkidd

Re: Studer CD Repair Absurdity?

Post by kkiddkkidd » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:54 am

Snake oil...
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:26 am

kkiddkkidd wrote:Snake oil...
That was exactly my thought, just like those oxygen-free speaker cables or the audiophile grade electric outlet!
Webmaster
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:56 pm

But wait, doesn't the marine industry do the same thing? You can buy a bronze bolt at Home Depot for $0.49 but at a marina it costs $15.00 because it's "marine-grade bronze".

Remember several years ago when someone from Belden ran a blind A-B test for some audiophiles of Monster Cable vs ordinary barbed wire, and the barbed wire won?

Bob M.

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:30 am

I once had a heated conversation with a Best Buy sales guy over speaker wire and RCA cables. I was purchasing a set of Bose Acoustimass speakers (more for their small size and the fact that they were on a promotion than fidelity). He was trying to up sell me to hundreds of dollars of double helix, oxygen free, triple shield, quadruple balanced speaker wire and RCA cables.

I laughed and pointedly told him that he was nuts and continued to load up on moderate priced RCA cables. He went so far as to tell me that Bose might not honor the warranty if I used all this cheap wire. I then told him that he was totally full of s#%t and walked off but he continued. I even told him that I was a broadcast engineer and had equipment to prove his BS wrong and he continued.

I guess he was so offended that I had questioned his week of sales training.

My wife made me leave before I could go get the HP oscliator and distortion analyzer out of the truck.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:35 pm

kkiddkkidd wrote:I guess he was so offended that I had questioned his week of sales training.
A week? I think more like a handful of hours if you ask me. During my teen years in the 70's I worked at a Radio Shack franchise dealer installing car audio and CBs as well as working the counter. I think this was back when you could go into almost any Radio Shack and you actually found somebody who had a clue. I was lucky enough to be exposed to a few audiophiles thanks in part to my father. I got the bug and got my first component stereo not long before I would get involved with the local community radio station and pass elements 1,2 and 9 for my third-class ticket. Today, by comparison, the ones left at the remaining Radio Shacks as well as Worst Buy, etc., are simple salespersons who lack even elementary knowledge of their products.

Back five years ago I wrote a guest commentary for Radio World about HD Radio. In the piece, HD Radio Faces Rocky Road, I mentioned what I had observed in one of those popular chain retailers when a customer asked a sales associate about HD, "... “They say it all the time, right?” was the comment from one salesperson, talking about a station’s top-of-the-hour identification, which mentioned HD. I debated whether to attempt to educate the sales associate but I left the retailer in disgust." I'm not 100-percent certain at this point but I believe the that radio the customer was looking at wasn't even HD capable!

Gee, at the price of one of those caps I could include installation, too!
Webmaster
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net