Audio Science Cards

brandonb959

Audio Science Cards

Post by brandonb959 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:42 pm

We are currently using the AES outputs on a 6114 card for our (3) on-air outputs from our Wide Orbit automation system. It has sounded really nice for several years, but every so often one of the outputs doesn't sound as "crisp" as the others. We are running Linear PCM.

There are several of these cards on ebay for just a few hundred bucks. My question is do the newer models of this card sound any better? If not, I may just pick up the same card.

Shane

Re: Audio Science Cards

Post by Shane » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:16 pm

I have this problem with ASI cards. If you pull off the I/O connector and put it back when you hear this you may find it will clear up. Or you might have to remove and reseat the card, which of course means a shut-down. BTW, the analog outputs don't seem to have this problem. Go figure.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:10 am

Not sure if WIde Orbit has continued the tradition, but Scott Studios and Google both locked the ASI card's serial number to the software. You had to call tech support for a new key file when replacing the ASI card.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:26 am

ChuckG wrote:Not sure if WIde Orbit has continued the tradition, but Scott Studios and Google both locked the ASI card's serial number to the software. You had to call tech support for a new key file when replacing the ASI card.
I'm not sure about new systems but they were still enforcing it the last time that I needed to swap a card last year.

AND if the replacement card wasn't originally sold by WO/Goog/SS, they want almost the cost of a new card to build a new key. The key is free if you buy the card from them... That is part of the reason that our standard recommendation for automation is not Wide Orbit.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

tonybroom

Post by tonybroom » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:01 am

I believe the last version of SS32 still used the serial number to lock the card to that station/machine. WideOrbit Automation for Radio doesn't do this. There's a USB security key that licenses the software.

davek

Post by davek » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:01 pm

USB key is the way to go.. I would flat out refuse to use a system that is locked to a particular piece of hardware. Not a good position to be in an emergency, when you have to swap something and you are locked out!

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:10 am

davek wrote:USB key is the way to go.. I would flat out refuse to use a system that is locked to a particular piece of hardware. Not a good position to be in an emergency, when you have to swap something and you are locked out!
My sentiments exactly. And the reason that I didn't recommend SS and others for years. I don't know if they (and other large providers) still require a pro level card (AudioScience, APTx, Digigram, Antex, etc) of it you can sub a consumer card in an emergency but that is a major consideration for me as well. I always recommend a Pro card but sometimes that just isn't in the budget.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:11 pm

SS32 would work with cheap Soundblaster cards, but you'd lose the overlap, Net catch and voicetracking/cart recorder. The trick was to have them add all the serial numbers in to the license file, including the ASI card in the production machine. That gave you an emergency spare.
I wouldn't do a system today that wasn't USB friendly either. Nice to be able to swap in a spare machine without having to open the lid!
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

TPT

Post by TPT » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:05 pm

Amen!

Had an air computer with Simian fail one Saturday morning. Satellite format, so something on the air. Local Office Depot had nothing but super expensive boxes, or under-powered e-mail machines. Up to Microcenter (120 mile trip)--found just what I needed. Nice lunch at Boston Market, back on the road--swapped over the dongle, sound card, hard drive, back up and running.

RodeoJack

Post by RodeoJack » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:41 am

One of the entry-level Scott systems was originally developed by a company called "The Management". That was in the early '90s, when the software, and all upgrades were mailed on 3.5" floppys. This was the first automation I'd run into that locked the software to the sound cards. In this case, you had to buy the cards from the company. They wouldn't add a card you bought yourself. The company also bundled in the switcher, as I'm not sure BT had developed their models yet.

I've seen one small broadcaster that uses Lynx cards on their early Simian systems. Otherwise, all of my other Simians uses cards from ASI. Aside from the fact that BSI builds the software around them, the ASI cards have AES and/or balanced outputs, which few consumer cards have. Unless you were feeding the automation directly to a nearby console or DA, the balanced output would be a major plus, I'd think. Then, there's the issue of overlaps and alternate channels, as mentioned above.

I've also seen several cases where using consumer sound cards or the computer's own output has resulted in audio quality issues. In a world where some outfits have cascaded MP3 codecs in their audio chain, it doesn't make sense to me that you'd start with anything less than getting the best audio you can out of the studio. For me, that would include the computer, card and the files themselves.