USB audio card for Audition 3.0

Joe Friday

USB audio card for Audition 3.0

Post by Joe Friday » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:53 am

One of my clients just got a new computer for use in a production studio I am putting together. Audition 3 is very unhappy with the on-board audio card, and I have been unable to find a driver that will solve my problem. Does anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive USB audio card that will work with Audition 3? I was looking at the Behringer UCA202 or UCA222. I do have a Henry matchbox to match it to the console. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Shane

Re: USB audio card for Audition 3.0

Post by Shane » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:05 am

If you don't mind the unbalanced analog side -- and apparently that is not an issue for you -- I can highly recommend the Behringer UCAs.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

TPT

Post by TPT » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:09 pm

Lexicon Alpha--maybe. Got it to work with older version of Audition.

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:15 pm

Question: Getting an external interface to work, is that an attribute of Adobe Audition or the host operating system? I would think if you had the proper Windows drivers it would work if only with generic drivers in Audition.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

Ray

Post by Ray » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:20 pm

I was given a recommendation for a Tascam UH7000 external audio card. I bought one used on ebay and use it with our production computer. It has both analog and digital (AES) input/outputs. The sound quality is excellent. Ray

Joe Friday

Post by Joe Friday » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:33 pm

It would appear that Audition 3 looks for an ASIO interface with the audio hardware. The machine that was purchased has an Asus motherboard with an on-board Realtek HD audio chipset. We have not been able to find an ASIO driver for the Realtek chipset. Audition has a fall back mode where it can use a standard windows audio device, but again we were not successful finding a driver that Audition was happy with. I went to the Asus website and downloaded the most recent audio driver for our mobo, and also went to the Realtek website and downloaded another driver, and both failed to work.

I found a ASIO emulator, ASIO4ALL, and this would satisfy Audition, but we were never able to get audio from the line or mic input through to the program. Windows recognized that audio was present, but it could not be recorded by Audition. The program would enter the record mode, but did not even show the normal -60 to -65 noise.

After fighting this situation for about two hours, we got the inspiration that another sound card might be a simpler answer, hence my original post.

Again, any thoughts or suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Kevin

dbuckley

Post by dbuckley » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:57 pm

ASIO isn't a Microsoft standard, so there is no native support for ASIO in Windows, the support is added by third parties. It is only needed for "serious" audio work, originally where latency within Windows was an issue, so consumer sound interfaces don't generally support it. Any interface card with more than two inputs or outputs will almost certainly have ASIO support.

ASIO4ALL is reputed to work well.

Shane

Post by Shane » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:28 am

You have checked the audio properties in Audition, right? I'm not familiar with 3.0 but in 1.5 you can get burned if you don't check and recheck them -- there are two separate tabs in 1.5 one needs to check and two different places with the two tabs. Also you have to close all instances of the program -- with the one you made the changes on being closed last -- for the changes to stick when you reopen.

Pardon me for being obvious but I've tripped up by that deal more than a few times.

Oh, and you also have to check that the selection you want has "use in EV" checked.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---