ID this mic?

hellothisisdog

ID this mic?

Post by hellothisisdog » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:22 pm

Anyone know what the long mic on the gooseneck stand is in this pic?? Seen it in a few shots of a major network refurb and it has piqued my interest :)

Sorry I can't find a more helpful picture than this, but the same mic appears as guest mics for a bunch of their different studios/stations.
(the other mic on the tripod stand seems to be some sort of temporary addition)

davek

Re: ID this mic?

Post by davek » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:02 am

I used to work at that radio station (2MMM in Sydney) where the photo was taken.

The mic is a AKG CK47 attached to a GN30 gooseneck.

The CK47's sounded ordinary, and were not easy to isolate (they tended to pick up every little tabletop thump). Also the goose neck tended to crack and fall apart every 12 months or so, depending on use.

Eventually those microphones were replaced with Neumann KMS105's because they sound 100 times better and have internal shock mounts.

hellothisisdog

Re: ID this mic?

Post by hellothisisdog » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:27 am

Thank you for all that info davek! I've seen other photos from SCA studios with the 105s but wasn't sure which pics came first.

That makes total sense with the mechanical noise problems, I'm currently looking to replace some gooseneck guest mics for the exact same reason. Good to know it's not just me having those problems!

The Neumanns would be a dream. With my current budget i guess I'll just keep right on dreaming though !