Starguide

jantonuk

Starguide

Post by jantonuk » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:09 pm

There is an old Starguide III satellite receiver in the rack.
I had been under the impression that this system was obsolete and no longer in use by anyone.

But here I found Orbital Media Networks and was able to select a Test Channel and listen to it.

The Program Director says we don't use it anymore. I probably wouldn't go out and buy one but should I leave it hooked up?

John

TPT

Re: Starguide

Post by TPT » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:12 pm

No point, unless you have programming coming off of it. Most satellite networks have gone to the XDS receivers, or some other design.

jantonuk

Post by jantonuk » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:56 pm

Can you tell me if there are any other program providers using Starguide?

awsherrill

Post by awsherrill » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:00 pm

Orbital still has a number of clients using Starguide, mostly smaller collegiate sports networks.

grich

Post by grich » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:53 pm

Chiefs Radio Network is still using SGIII. Haven't heard of any plans to change.

I've been hanging on to them. I have a couple of SGII's I've held on to because I've read their power supplies are exact replacements for the control supplies in some BE transmitters, like the AM-1A, etc. I've been too lazy to see if the SGIII supplies are the same.

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:21 pm

grich wrote:Chiefs Radio Network is still using SGIII. Haven't heard of any plans to change.

I've been hanging on to them. I have a couple of SGII's I've held on to because I've read their power supplies are exact replacements for the control supplies in some BE transmitters, like the AM-1A, etc. I've been too lazy to see if the SGIII supplies are the same.
You would have read that on this very forum, where it was discussed :mrgreen: .
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"