Mike lights for a board that doesn't have them...

w9wi

Mike lights for a board that doesn't have them...

Post by w9wi » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:54 pm

Actually this is TV but I think the question is applicable to both TV and radio and more likely to get an answer from radio:)

I'm using a Yamaha LS9-32 board in a new control room. (this project has essentially zero budget & we already had the board...)

This board doesn't have any built-in GPOs or other provisions for mike lights.

If I have to I'll just put a toggle switch in a blank panel to the right of the board. But I'm curious what anyone else has tried. Any kind of VOX worth trying?

Thanks!
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

TPT

Re: Mike lights for a board that doesn't have them...

Post by TPT » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:48 am

Well this box from Henry Engineering may be useful:

http://www.henryeng.com/superelay.html

But you will still need to send a switched ground contact to the box in order to turn on the warning light...most "PA" type mixers don't provide anything like that---back to the toggle switch in the blank panel. At least you won't have strange voltages running around inside the mixer.

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:24 am

Note that although in places the Yamaha web site calls this a console, in other places the site calls it a mixer.

In broadcast parlance a console generally has monitoring outputs (either a built-in audio power amp or low-level outputs to feed an amp) that mute when a mike is keyed, tally contacts to drive an on-air light that activate when a mike is keyed, a cue bus (with or without an audio amp and internal speaker, but with external output muted by mike keying), and balanced professional-level outputs. A mixer often lacks the monitor and cue muting, tally contacts, and cue bus.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:22 am

Yes, I saw the Henry Engineering box. We actually already have all the parts to roll our own, and it's not really that hard or time consuming. The hard part is coming up with the logic signal to drive it:)

My impression is this board was designed for the sound reinforcement industry, it seems popular in large churches. It really does fill our bill fairly nicely as far as audio is concerned. But no, there's no logic signals of any kind coming out of the thing.

Given the shows in question, the toggle switch thing is probably workable. Might actually be a bit better if you can lie (tell people the mikes are hot when they aren't) to help clear the set:)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

jantonuk

Post by jantonuk » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:19 pm

Radio Design Labs has a box gizmo
http://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=146

dbuckley

Post by dbuckley » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:05 am

The only way I can think of with the LS9 is to make use of it's MIDI facilities; it can send the fader levels in real time by MIDI, and something (an arduino?) could interpret that fader level and know when it moves from zero. You'd should also need to track the mute button state.

Seems a lot of work; a vox detector might be imperfect, but a lot better than nothing, or a manual switch.

Despite the LS9 being a groundbreaking mixer in its day, this is a square peg / round hole problem.

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:18 am

If the faders have contacts, run wires out of the mixer.
If no contacts, maybe replace with faders that have it?
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

bill981

Post by bill981 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:43 am

How about the Broadcast Tools Mixer Buddy? Give you light control, monitor muting and pushbutton mic on/off control.
http://broadcasttools.com/product/mixer-buddy/

RCATTU55C

Post by RCATTU55C » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:26 pm

I used to run a Mackie D8B in a TV studio. To get on air tally lamps we used a midi solutions R8 http://www.midisolutions.com/prodr8.htm
We programmed the correct sysex commands to the R8 so the faders looked like "note on note off" from a synthisiser. It ran 24-7 for 12 years until the station was sold.

73's

Steve