Shielded Cat5e/6 connectors and tools

BigRed

Re: Shielded Cat5e/6 connectors and tools

Post by BigRed » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:56 pm

w9wi wrote: A few years ago I ended up with a box of cable where the pairs were mechanically joined... I mean, the green and white/green wires were "webbed" together, like a piece of zip cord; as were the orange and white/orange, etc., etc... It wasn't horribly hard to split them, but WHY?

Did that cable also have a "curved-flat" cross-section, as opposed to being round? If it did then it may well have been Belden Mediaflow, all the rage about 15-years ago. The "theory" for bonding the pairs together like that was that it wouldn't let them change twist spacing over a long run. The "flat" construction of the cable was to make sure that the pairs themselves maintained their spacing relationship, if I remember the Belden salesman's "pitch" correctly. I think he even said it would cure teenage acne.

Nastiest stuff I've ever seen to work with, and not cheap. Glad I didn't buy into it although I did feel sorry for our IT department that did.

BigRed

Post by BigRed » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:58 pm

kkiddkkidd wrote:I have one of the EZ RJ45 tools and have never had a problem with the wires sticking out. That is as along as I completed the crimp and allowed the trimmer blade to fully cut the ends. They are almost perfectly flush with the end of the connector body.

I have tried to recut improperly crimped (by me) tails with a pair of flush cut clippers as well as a knife and have had various problems with each.

YMMV, etc, etc.

That crimp tool isn't "controlled cycle"?

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:13 pm

BigRed wrote:
That crimp tool isn't "controlled cycle"?
It is a "controlled cycle" but sometimes it doesn't. Why I have no idea.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:02 pm

BigRed wrote:
w9wi wrote: A few years ago I ended up with a box of cable where the pairs were mechanically joined... I mean, the green and white/green wires were "webbed" together, like a piece of zip cord; as were the orange and white/orange, etc., etc... It wasn't horribly hard to split them, but WHY?

Did that cable also have a "curved-flat" cross-section, as opposed to being round? If it did then it may well have been Belden Mediaflow, all the rage about 15-years ago. The "theory" for bonding the pairs together like that was that it wouldn't let them change twist spacing over a long run. The "flat" construction of the cable was to make sure that the pairs themselves maintained their spacing relationship, if I remember the Belden salesman's "pitch" correctly. I think he even said it would cure teenage acne.

Nastiest stuff I've ever seen to work with, and not cheap. Glad I didn't buy into it although I did feel sorry for our IT department that did.
No, but it does sound ugly! Wish I could remember what it was. I think it was just some plain inexpensive no-name Cat5.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66