THAT-1 problem

ChristopherJensen

THAT-1 problem

Post by ChristopherJensen » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:27 am

Thanks for letting me join and the chance to ask a question.

I have a THAT-1 telephone handset audio tap I want to use with a Tascam DR100 Mark III to record interviews for reporting for public radio.

When I depress the button to cut out the handset (so I don't record noise from the room) I get a buzzing noise.

I'm sure it is hooked up properly.

There is no buzzing noise when the handset is active.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Lee_Wheeler

Re: THAT-1 problem

Post by Lee_Wheeler » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:17 am

What kind of phone are your using it on? It has been years since I used one of the JK Audio taps but there were a few brands of phones that they just refused to work with and I carried around an old AT&T phone that always seemed to work with a POTS line. If you have a different phone to try that might solve the problem.

...Lee

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:04 am

If it is a key or digital type system you may have data on unusual wire combinations in unusual places. Simple, single line analog sets work the best most of the time.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

Shane

Post by Shane » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:44 am

What is connected to the Line In jack? Is that unit connected to the Line In Jack AC powered? If so, is the AC plug 2-prong or 3-prong? If it's 3-prong use an adapter from the hardware store to isolate the ground prong. You might have a ground loop and that will break the loop.

This is pretty common with laptop computers as well as other gear you can plug into an RCA jack such as the THAT-1 has.

Alternatively, you could isolate the THAT-1 from the recorder with a balun like the Henry Matchbox but now we're talking about a lot more money than a 35c adapter from the hardware store!
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---