PR&E Airwave Audio Bleedover HELP

wfbcradio

PR&E Airwave Audio Bleedover HELP

Post by wfbcradio » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:38 am

Good morning i have a Airwave that i am having bleedover audio through the studio monitors. When i turn them all the way down, you can still hear audio coming through them. The audio is low but loud enough to still hear over the air when the mics pick the audio up. i have taken EVERY wire loose from the punch block and re punched everything as well as tried new cables still the same thing. if you have the volume up on the pot for the studio monitors, it gets louder the more you turn the knob just as it should, if you turn a mic on it will kill the audio just as it should except for the bleed over that you can still hear. no matter what i have done i can't get the audio to completely turn off.

TPT

Re: PR&E Airwave Audio Bleedover HELP

Post by TPT » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:35 pm

On aire console or production? If on-air console, is it the air audio or some other source?

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:56 pm

Any transmitters/antennas nearby?
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Shane

Post by Shane » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:50 am

If the noise is still there with mics on, it must be getting into the monitor circuit somewhere downstream from the muting.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

TPT

Post by TPT » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:18 pm

A brief explanation:

Typical console design is to use a relay (or other switching circuit) to shut off the audio to the monitor amplifier when the mike is on. Not that familiar with this model console, but most modern consoles also do not have a built-in monitor amplifier, but instead send low-level audio to an outboard monitor amp--which can be a rack-mount device, or even an ordinary home-style tuner-amplifier combination.

Now it gets down to trouble-shooting. If you have an out-board monitor amp, disconnect the input feeds to that amp (which can be anything from a pair of "RCA" pin plugs, to 1/4" phone plugs to three-pin mike connectors). If the bleed-over is still there, then something is getting into that monitor amp. If not, then the bleed-over is between the monitor output feed of the board and the amplifier.

Once you determine where the audio is getting in, then the question on what it is you are hearing. And if there is a transmitter close by. If the station's transmitter is near the building, the wiring between the console and the monitor amplifier can act as an antenna and pick up the audio feeding the transmitter. Even the speaker wires can pick up audio from the transmitter --and can be heard with the monitor amplifier turned off.

If you a re hearing the output of the console, however, that could also be some kind of wiring error. For example, one problem with using a home amplifier for a monitor amp is that the inputs are unbalanced, and bad grounding practices can cause some bleed-over.

M7H

Post by M7H » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:03 pm

The likely cause is an audio output that was wired wrong so that signal is connected to ground. That will contaminate the ground with signal and couple stray audio in to someplace else. Often people miswire, end up with a left to right imbalance and then boost gain on one side to make it match without finding out why it was imbalanced in the first place.

So you have a balanced audio source that has a high (+) and low (-) signal output. If either the high or low gets inadvertently connected to the ground, like with a miswired XLR cable, then crosstalk can happen and the opamp will not be happy trying to drive the ground. Some people think that it is perfectly OK to connect a balanced output to an unbalanced input by using + for signal and the low (-) for return (ground). That is not how it is done unless there is a transformer as the audio source (or a virtual transformer circuit). The transformer output and virtual transformer outputs are pretty rare in the modern studio.

So check your audio signal wiring. Start pulling out audio connectors at the sources until the crosstalk vanishes.