Cleaning out the basement

Qs23

Cleaning out the basement

Post by Qs23 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:04 am

Hey,

So I've been working for 3 years now, and I've finally got the approval to go full AXIA (5 station cluster - with wiring that's a cluster).

I'm taking this upgrade to also clear house a bit of old wiring and equipment.

And that's when I discovered the engineering caches stored all over this building.

For example, I've got a pile of starguide II & III receivers that is as tall as I am. I've got 5 ISDN boxes of different generations, (Our ISDN line is going away this year). Marti accessories galore (We're using Comrex ACCESS), I've got hundreds of feet of wire still on the spool (Which, going full AXIA, isn't going to be needed), etc.

Is anybody still using this stuff, or should I just take it to the scrap recycler?

grich

Re: Cleaning out the basement

Post by grich » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:59 am

Several stations, especially those far away from decent cell and internet access, still use Marti. One of my clients use Marti almost every night this time of year.

SGII power supplies are exact replacements for the control power supplies in many BE transmitters.

A couple of networks still use SGIII.

What kind of wire?

TPT

Post by TPT » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:53 pm

E-bay. Good quality shielded audio wire still useful--someone will buy it.

I'm still analog...just ran a 27 shielded pair cable from my rack room to the main studio at one location & two other similar cables at our other station. Moving stuff out of the control room to the racks, running out of pairs on the existing 27 pair cable I installed back in '83 when we built the place. The other station is built into a split level house--want to finish the garage beneath the studios, so that cable will be walled up--leaving lots of spare pairs.

Then I just installed a little 6 channel Auditronics 2500 at a high school station to give them a production studio. Every channel pre-wired to a block They have a very active 900 watt non-com, only station in that county.

So good quality wire always in demand.

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:27 am

While we're on the subject, I have (4) Wegener Unity 4000 rcvrs gathering dust, if anyone needs them. I remember they used to be used with some religious networks. This place had them in use years ago, before I got here. Gratis, you pay for shipping from MKE.
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

Shane

Post by Shane » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:24 pm

Sent you a PM on the U4Ks.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---