RM105 Desk

hitmusic

RM105 Desk

Post by hitmusic » Fri May 12, 2017 7:37 pm

Hello my name is Wayne I'm new here and I'm from the UK.

I have a small issue that I'm attempting to resolve and finding it difficult.

I'm attempting to wire up an soundcraft RM105 radio console in a radio studio and the AUX Feeds appear to be Post-Fade only. Can this not be changed as for example during a 4 hour show if they need a quick fag break or the toilet with the old desk they could just bring up the Segue Edit, record a voice link and job done!

However with the RM105 it seems like unless you have the fader in the 'UP' position, the mic channel will not route through the AUX section, and yes the AUX pot is up.

Any help would be appreciated and yes (If there is a complicated problem, I will find it!)

Regards,
Wayne

TPT

Re: RM105 Desk

Post by TPT » Sat May 13, 2017 6:01 am

A quick glance at this console on-line...I suspect it may be hard wired this way. Most broadcast consoles provide an audition or auxiliary feed just for the purpose you describe--laying down a voice track while the main programing runs, or setting up the mix-minus feed to a hybrid. However, most required the fader be up, and on mike channels, speakers muted. My Audioarts R55E will feed the "pre" buss (as they call it) without the channel being on (and muting speakers on a mike channel)--but the fader still needs to be up.

A manual would be helpful--but I suspect if this console doesn't have a separate audition buss for recording you may be stuck.

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Sat May 13, 2017 8:19 am

It appears that TPT is correct. I was curious about the TM105 because I had never seen a SoundCraft product aimed at radio. It appears to be a sort of radio/performance hybrid console. I found a TM105 manual on line and it specifically says that the Aux output is post fader/mute. It also mentions an Aud buss in a later page but I saw no provision for such.

It does have an insert point on channels that could probably be routed out to an external recorder. The insert point is pre-EQ so recordings would sound different than live if you are EQing the mic.

Good luck.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

TPT

Post by TPT » Sat May 13, 2017 8:55 am

Soundcraft may also be using "auxiliary" feed in the sense of an "audition" feed.

hitmusic

Post by hitmusic » Sat May 13, 2017 9:09 pm

Hello,

Many thanks for your help so far.

I have literally tried everything, even the jumper settings on the module itself but nothing appears to route AUX Pre-Fade.

It is a radio console as you say but I think they did not design it to voice track as Soundcraft's newer digital model the RM1d has a selectable pre or post fade AUX switch. I spoke to a friend of mine at the BBC who says the Soundcraft Series 10 radio console has a jumper on each module to select whether you want pre or post fade AUX but the RM105 does not appear to have this option. It was either designed as 'On Air LIVE' only or for production suites. It does specify it is a radio console so I'm a little confused to why there other radio consoles have the option but not this one.

I have a Valve Mic-Pre Amp that i'm going to use to warm up the mics in the studio, and on first look it looks like there is an XLR Output and a 1/4" Jack Output per channel. If when plugging a jack into the output does not 'MUTE' the XLR output, I could route this to the soundcard input so at least voice tracking can be accomplished and the Segue Editing can be on the AUX 2 switch with AUX 1 being the transmitter feed.

Best wishes,
Wayne