Arrakis 12,000 series console issues

kc8gpd

Arrakis 12,000 series console issues

Post by kc8gpd » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:33 am

so i am engineering an internet / VT studio for a client. he has a arrakis 12k series console. i wired up punch blocks to the inputs, triple checked my wiring against the manual. so i hooked up a mic through a dbx 286 both confirmed working even tried different wiring between mic and dbx and punch block. i can't seem to confirm via meter movement that board is passing audio. i did add a line to mic level pad so i don't blow the mic channel inputs and i did jumper the prefader i/o on cn3 terminal. also the board has some mods pictured here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bk11hy8slax7 ... PA3Oa?dl=0 i am unfamiliar with these mods although i have seen such mods in many studios i have no personal experience with these types of mods.

my question is does anyone have a experience with these boards that can shed some light on why the board does not appear to be passing audio?maybe i'm missing something simple? also can someone shed some light on these mods maybe via engineering notes of similar mods?

a lot of engineers have had there fingers in this particular pie and to top that off the guy when he moved did so in a hurry and just cut and ripped wires so i am basically deciphering several other engineers work with no notes on anything except the first engineers install nothing on the subsequent modifications to the original install and rebuilding the studio from scratch.

any help on this would be greatly appreciated i am studying the manual in the mean time to see if i am missing something that is preventing board from passing audio.
kc8gpd

"The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

RGORJANCE

Re: Arrakis 12,000 series console issues

Post by RGORJANCE » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:43 am

I think I see a problem. If you look at the manual, the input connections start with CN-1 at the rear of the console. From the rear, it is CN-1, CN-2, CN-3 towards thew front of the board. It looks like you are connected to CN-2 and CN-3, or opposite how the connections are laid out.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, ht and coffee cup.

Fossil

kc8gpd

Post by kc8gpd » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:12 am

got it passing audio meter board is out of cal and meters barely move but it passes audio on all selected busses, I have one issue with it and this might be a dip switch or jumper somewhere.

it passes a small amount of audio that is audible regardless of the state of the faders or on/off switch or regardless of whether or not board has power yes it passes a small amount of audio to the headphone and pgm bus regardless of power or no power.

I am using a headphone monitor amp to listen to output audio on the various buses.
kc8gpd

"The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:29 pm

kc8gpd wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:12 am

it passes a small amount of audio that is audible regardless of the state of the faders or on/off switch or regardless of whether or not board has power
Grounding those consoles solves a lot of strange problems. I have 4 of them still in service.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

kc8gpd

Post by kc8gpd » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:46 am

I'll give it a shot i'm only going over there on weekends to help him in my spare time.
kc8gpd

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:20 am

I don't know if your console has this, but I've seen some that use Molex connectors that have an "effects loop" on every input that must be jumpered if there is no external processor or other gizmo. If all the wires were just cut off, there could be some that just need to be connected together on some channels.

Bob M.

kc8gpd

Post by kc8gpd » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:40 am

yea it has the prefader patch for the effects loop. i jumpered that and it is passing audio the reason i thought it was not passing audio is the meters appear to be out of calibration i can push the audio to distortion and the meters barely move.

i have also discovered a new problem which i hope the other posters suggestion of grounding will solve and that is regardless of channel state on/off fader up or down, even regardless of power or no power there is a subtle detectable audio between inputs and output. the channels are working because audio gets significantly louder when i turn channel on and pot up. it's just feeding subtle audio along something somewhere that is direct from channel to output.

i am using a headphones DA to listen to the output with headphones and feeding it a signal with a dbx and mic. also the stereo channels output both channels it appears off a mono input such as a dbx and mic.

i'm sure it is something simple that someone in the know has dealt with before.

if i can figure out these small issues the rest should be a breeze off the original engineers schematics. i am just going to bypass all that extra modded garbage in the linked pictures on the OP.
kc8gpd

kc8gpd

Post by kc8gpd » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:56 am

just an update on this i went to the guy's home studio last weekend and grounded the board chassis to the electrical ground and all the issues disappeared. amazing what a lack of and electrical ground will cause.

now i can move onto wiring the studio up.

thanks to all who responded in this thread :-)
kc8gpd