Super Cheap Short Wave broadcasting...

The voices heard 'round the world
w4cl

Re: Super Cheap Short Wave broadcasting...

Post by w4cl » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:43 am

w9wi wrote:
w4cl wrote:If I hadn't just gotten married, I might have tried for it, but I hear a man named Charlie Lewis from Wilmington, NC took the job to get away from a bad divorce and last I heard, he was still overseas working for VOA all these years later.
S92SS, Sao Tome, among other exotic calls. (ISTR one in Liberia but can't remember what it was) We spoke (CW'd) a few times. I believe last I heard he was back in the States.
Wow. My history follows me!

Well, I think in the long run, he was the better choice for lots of reasons.

RFBurns

Post by RFBurns » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:34 am

w4cl wrote:Even though the rules do not allow intra US shortwave broadcasting it happens all the time
Old topic..but must reply. So true, especially when anyone anywhere within the boundaries of the main "homeland" you can tune in VOA and WWV, amongst others. :roll:
w4cl wrote: There are currently no "mainstream" broadcasters participating in HF broadcasting in the US. And that is it in a nut shell.
And for good reasons, and it is not because of AM and FM taking over after WWII. It's because the general radio listening public does not want to listen to static filled, faded jaded radio when far better alternatives are available, even after WWII.

No amount of digital this or that or AM/FM/SW iBLAH this and that will fix what causes the masses to "tune out".

Someday the big wigs will figure it out....someday.

RFBurns
When something gets in the way...either try to work with it, or go around it and solve the problem.

w4cl

Post by w4cl » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:11 am

RFBurns wrote:
w4cl wrote:Even though the rules do not allow intra US shortwave broadcasting it happens all the time
Old topic..but must reply. So true, especially when anyone anywhere within the boundaries of the main "homeland" you can tune in VOA and WWV, amongst others. :roll:
w4cl wrote: There are currently no "mainstream" broadcasters participating in HF broadcasting in the US. And that is it in a nut shell.
And for good reasons, and it is not because of AM and FM taking over after WWII. It's because the general radio listening public does not want to listen to static filled, faded jaded radio when far better alternatives are available, even after WWII.

No amount of digital this or that or AM/FM/SW iBLAH this and that will fix what causes the masses to "tune out".

Someday the big wigs will figure it out....someday.

RFBurns
But they will listen to crappy, lossy codecs like MP3 on speakers in smart phones. :shock:

RFBurns

Post by RFBurns » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:20 pm

w4cl wrote: But they will listen to crappy, lossy codecs like MP3 on speakers in smart phones. :shock:
Not too different from all who toted around a little transistor radio with the single earphone or just using the internal 2 inch speaker tuned to AM listening to Brown Eyed Girl at a screaming 1/4 watt audio power at a full bandwidth of 1khz to 1 khz eh? :lol:

RFBurns
When something gets in the way...either try to work with it, or go around it and solve the problem.