Super Cheap Short Wave broadcasting...

The voices heard 'round the world
K9EZ
Site Admin

Re: Super Cheap Short Wave broadcasting...

Post by K9EZ » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:37 am

mrmodulation wrote:Kent,
those pictures look very similar to what was up at the O.T.C. (Overseas Telecommunications Commission) station just up the road from where I lived and you are right the pictures do not do justice to these monster HF arrays. They need to be seen in real life to get the real prospective :shock:

I have contacted some guys that worked for the O.T.C. and I am hoping to get some pictures of the set up there, I remember they had AWA communicator SSB rigs rated at 30Kw and 40Kw plugged into Huge Rombics and Log Periodic beams :D

Clinton VK2FTDX

WYFR runs about 130kW into STACKED rhombics. :shock: I thought I worked it out to be around 1.5 million ERP
Kent Winrich
Owner, Consultant, Floor Sweeper and Official Thread Hijacker
Broadcast and Technology Blog http://sceotech.com/blog/
Raleigh, NC

mrmodulation

Post by mrmodulation » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:14 am

Now that's what I call "High Powered Broadcasting" and to think this is all legal in the good old USA, makes my 1Kw on a 1/4 wave vertical seem a little underpowered :lol:

I'll get some links to a disused International HF Airband station in Western Sydney, it had Rombics and AM transmitters. Although it has now closed they are planning to make it a museum due to it's aviation and radio history.

Clinton VK2FTDX

K9EZ
Site Admin

Post by K9EZ » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:18 am

mrmodulation wrote:Now that's what I call "High Powered Broadcasting" and to think this is all legal in the good old USA, makes my 1Kw on a 1/4 wave vertical seem a little underpowered :lol:

I'll get some links to a disused International HF Airband station in Western Sydney, it had Rombics and AM transmitters. Although it has now closed they are planning to make it a museum due to it's aviation and radio history.

Clinton VK2FTDX

As I spend more time in North Carolina I am going to try to get into VOA Greenville. You can drive up to one of the sites, but need to know someone to get in. I did have a contact a while back but dont know if he is still there.
Kent Winrich
Raleigh, NC

mrmodulation

Post by mrmodulation » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:33 am

That would be a dream come true Kent,

Here is a VOA Greenville video:
http://www.southgatearc.org/news/januar ... _video.htm

I wonder if Macon Dail is still Chief Engineer of Site B?

And a nice write up here:
http://antennablog.lbagroup.com/voa-gre ... the-world/

Clinton VK2FTDX

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:28 pm

mrmodulation wrote:I wonder if Macon Dail is still Chief Engineer of Site B?
Yup. Radio World is running an article about Greenville and there is a photo of him included.

http://radioworld.com/article/119514
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

w4cl

Post by w4cl » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:16 am

I had an opportunity to go to work for VOA back in the mid 80's and pick any site I wanted to work at at starting salary of $60k a year. The catch was I had to work in East Africa for 3 years first and then I could pick my site (providing I got out a live)! Greenville would have been my choice since I have family in the area and could have moved into my Grandparents homestead with no rent! Seems no one wanted to go to East Africa. It was a dangerous area and supposedly the only electrical power in the country was at the VOA site and the natives loved to raid the place. It was a 3 man site with 12 hour on/12 hour off for 3 months with a month off. If I hadn't just gotten married, I might have tried for it, but I hear a man named Charlie Lewis from Wilmington, NC took the job to get away from a bad divorce and last I heard, he was still overseas working for VOA all these years later. I suspect on hindsight, had I got the job, I would have been let go in the 90's when VOA started to cut back here in the US because I would have been at Greenville and a bunch of guys did get cut loose there in the 90's.

To think, "What if."

Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:02 pm

I think the VOA site you are referring to is the former Monrovia Relay Station in Liberia. I visited there as part of a team sizing up requirements for potential refurbishment. After years of neglect, the place had recently turned around to be a pretty well-kept facility (I believe this was around '89 or so. I'll have to dig up the old passport.) Despite actually being on the continent, many Monrovia frequencies did not work as well as those from stateside. The best explanation I heard for this was Monrovia's location between the equatorial anomalies, causing less than well-behaved paths.
What's that do....?

Shane

Post by Shane » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:34 pm

A high school classmate of mine was a nephew of one Willis Conover, who was at one time probably the best known U-S radio personality overseas -- who had pretty much -NO- following or recognition stateside! -- because he was heard only on shortwave (VOA, as I recall) and not intended to be received in the U-S.

<thread hijack>
Another high school classmate now works for VOA at the studios in Washington. I got a tour about 16 years ago, right as they were beginning remodeling/building out for digital audio. At the time there was a room full of Ampex 300's (not 350's, 300's) still being used for catching and running feeds. Even the stations I then worked for here in Omaha had pretty much retired our 300's (and one 200) by then but not that many years before. I had never seen a 300 before coming to work there and had been in the business about 10 or 11 years already.
</thread hijack>
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

mrmodulation

Post by mrmodulation » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:11 am

Yup. Radio World is running an article about Greenville and there is a photo of him included
I look forward to reading this article deep thought...

Clinton VK2FTDX

Bow

Post by Bow » Thu May 19, 2011 3:16 am

mrmodulation wrote:Most of the guys here are using modified AM Ham radios + linear amps and Ham band verticals, we have a 6Khz bandwidth limit so it fits the bill quite nice,
I'm curious to know what transmitters they are modifying...
Solid State or tube?
Bow

Amateur Radio Guy/Audio Nerd

K9EZ
Site Admin

Post by K9EZ » Thu May 19, 2011 6:50 pm

Bow wrote:
mrmodulation wrote:Most of the guys here are using modified AM Ham radios + linear amps and Ham band verticals, we have a 6Khz bandwidth limit so it fits the bill quite nice,
I'm curious to know what transmitters they are modifying...
Solid State or tube?

TUBE!
Kent Winrich
Raleigh, NC

Bow

Post by Bow » Sun May 22, 2011 11:15 pm

Ahhh... I was betting on tubes...

easier to modify for sound than solid state.... 8)
Bow

Amateur Radio Guy/Audio Nerd

mrmodulation

Post by mrmodulation » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:51 am

Most of the ham gear used are old Kenwood and Yaesu Valve sets driving linear amps, there isn't a station running on full power yet most are doing about 50 - 100 watt carrier. The legal limit is 1kW carrier.

Clinton VK2FTDX

K9EZ
Site Admin

Post by K9EZ » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:55 pm

mrmodulation wrote:Most of the ham gear used are old Kenwood and Yaesu Valve sets driving linear amps, there isn't a station running on full power yet most are doing about 50 - 100 watt carrier. The legal limit is 1kW carrier.

Clinton VK2FTDX

These valves you speak of........ 8) 8) 8)
Kent Winrich
Raleigh, NC

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:32 am

w4cl wrote:If I hadn't just gotten married, I might have tried for it, but I hear a man named Charlie Lewis from Wilmington, NC took the job to get away from a bad divorce and last I heard, he was still overseas working for VOA all these years later.
S92SS, Sao Tome, among other exotic calls. (ISTR one in Liberia but can't remember what it was) We spoke (CW'd) a few times. I believe last I heard he was back in the States.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66