Have had the dream to put a SW on the air?

The voices heard 'round the world
w4cl

Have had the dream to put a SW on the air?

Post by w4cl » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:19 pm

Having engineered AM, FM, analog TV and now digital TV, I have been thinking of what it would take to get a SW station on the air. Nothing like a VOA mind you, but if you had to get something on in a budget, exactly would COULD you get by with and what WOULD the FCC actually license. I know you have to have 50kW min to get licensed, but beyond that, it looks like the sky is the limit on what you use. I did find it interesting that WBCQ uses a modified 40 meter yagi beam for one of its systems and the FCC licensed it.

I have an idea of what I would try if I won the lottery since I don't see this thing making any money beyond the Pay and Pray crowd. Any takers on ideas?

K9EZ
Site Admin

Re: Have had the dream to put a SW on the air?

Post by K9EZ » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:20 pm

w4cl wrote:Having engineered AM, FM, analog TV and now digital TV, I have been thinking of what it would take to get a SW station on the air. Nothing like a VOA mind you, but if you had to get something on in a budget, exactly would COULD you get by with and what WOULD the FCC actually license. I know you have to have 50kW min to get licensed, but beyond that, it looks like the sky is the limit on what you use. I did find it interesting that WBCQ uses a modified 40 meter yagi beam for one of its systems and the FCC licensed it.

I have an idea of what I would try if I won the lottery since I don't see this thing making any money beyond the Pay and Pray crowd. Any takers on ideas?

Wire antennas work just fine. You will need a good amount of land, but nothing like an AM array. There are a few SW station in North Carolina. Look up WBOH or WTJC in Newport, NC. It is a simple rhombic on telephone poles. I may have a pic or two around here of the WTJC system.

What else do you want to know?
Kent Winrich
Owner, Consultant, Floor Sweeper and Official Thread Hijacker
Broadcast and Technology Blog http://sceotech.com/blog/
Raleigh, NC

Sam Buca

Post by Sam Buca » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:31 pm

From my stomping grounds....the famous WMLK: http://www.wmlkradio.net

250kw xmtr :mrgreen:

w4cl

Post by w4cl » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:49 am

If money were no object, instead of buying a old 50kW AM rig and converting it to SW, wonder what a sold state Nautel or similar would cost. Could the cost difference be made up in a reasonable time frame since you take out the cost of tube replacement and increase the reliablity quite a bit. Basically putting the cost on the front end, instead of the back end with tubes. Just a thought.

K4WRF

Post by K4WRF » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:36 am

If you buy a Nautel, you get a Continental SW rig. 15 years ago, they were about $600k per copy for a 100kW rig. A 5 w/l rombic with support poles comes in at about 25% the cost of TCI antenna and meets the beam width and gain requirements. If you have installed TV transmitter, you have a good idea as to the assembly of a SW transmitter. Tubes include PA and driver, PA is 4CW100,000 and driver is 4X3000, Tube life was very good, vac-caps seemed to fail a lot as they were excercized several times a day. Might want to try to attend HFCC to network and find frequencies that will work. Frequency coordination is key of course and FCC paperwork is minimal compared to US commercial requirements. I worked on the WWCR facility from when it started until about three years ago and I can tell you that was a money printing operation and it still is today. I will warn you SW broadcasting is another world from regular BCB, only some technical principals apply.
Good luck,

w/

K9EZ
Site Admin

Post by K9EZ » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:47 am

K4WRF wrote:If you buy a Nautel, you get a Continental SW rig. 15 years ago, they were about $600k per copy for a 100kW rig. A 5 w/l rombic with support poles comes in at about 25% the cost of TCI antenna and meets the beam width and gain requirements. If you have installed TV transmitter, you have a good idea as to the assembly of a SW transmitter. Tubes include PA and driver, PA is 4CW100,000 and driver is 4X3000, Tube life was very good, vac-caps seemed to fail a lot as they were excercized several times a day. Might want to try to attend HFCC to network and find frequencies that will work. Frequency coordination is key of course and FCC paperwork is minimal compared to US commercial requirements. I worked on the WWCR facility from when it started until about three years ago and I can tell you that was a money printing operation and it still is today. I will warn you SW broadcasting is another world from regular BCB, only some technical principals apply.
Good luck,

w/

You mean like these???
http://picasaweb.google.com/kwinrich/WYFR
Kent Winrich
Raleigh, NC

K4WRF

Post by K4WRF » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:40 pm

Yeah, Continental uses a steam tube but over-flows the boiler making it water cooled. Boiler is also plate blocking cap. Water flows in through rubber hose and falls back down into a pirex duct that isolates the PA and returns distilled water to the tank, that is then cooled by running it through a fan cooled heat exchanger outside then back. Do these have tube modulators or have they been modified to solid state step modulators? I thought I saw a big transformer and choke in one of the pix. Thanks for the photos, very interesting indeed.

w/

K4WRF

Post by K4WRF » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:47 pm

BTW: I like that pix #20 showing air-cooled PA tube with the "swinging" plate by-pass choke.

HiHi...

73'

w/

w4cl

Post by w4cl » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:27 pm

Don't they EVER clean those transmitters? Good thing my boss doesn't work there!! :twisted:

ai4i

Post by ai4i » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:38 pm

Unless you really have something up your sleeves, not to mention pants with deep pockets, why not take this project on from a third world country?
You could operate from a Caribbean island with a few thousand watts or even a few hundred watts in one of the tropical bands (60m, 90m, or 120m), and cover everywhere from the north coast of Brazil to the southeastern United States.

RFWarrior

Post by RFWarrior » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:34 pm

K4WRF wrote:If you buy a Nautel, you get a Continental SW rig.
In all fairness, that's not totally accurate :)

If you ask Nautel for a shortwave transmitter, we will refer you to Continental, but we don't sell them under any logo :) We looked at it, and we do build similar technology, but Continental is the gold standard in that field and there's just not enough market to pay the cost of development, not at the moment anyway. Too many other things on the go :D

Best,

Jeff
Jeff Welton
Regional Sales Manager - Central U.S.
Nautel
Toll free: 1-877-662-8835, ext. 5127
Halifax Number: 902-823-5127
Quincy Number: 217-919-0189
Cell: 902-489-1635
jwelton@nautel.com

LA_Guy

Post by LA_Guy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:47 am

The easiest antenna I have seen to build is the vertically polarized corner reflector. For the 41 meter band, build an insulated 35 foot Rohn 25. You need a buried radial ground system under it, but the radials only need to be 35 feet long. Put up a screen made of 3 more towers (or phone poles) to make your corner reflector. Chain link fence soldered together would prpobably work for the rellecting material, or screen or even heavy duty chicken wire. The back of the corner reflector goes about 17 feet behind the radiating tower.
This is a nice, compact, cheap antenna that meets FCC gain requerements. Several SW stations in the USA use them successfully.

http://www.antennex.com/Sshack/pcr/pcr.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://yu1aw.ba-karlsruhe.de/shorten3dcra.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://books.google.com/books?id=OAJ1OA ... #PPA387,M1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

K9EZ
Site Admin

Post by K9EZ » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:58 am

Huh had not seen those...but nice idea. Now to make one for the ham bands...... 8)

Also, welcome to the group. Hope you intro yourself in "Everything Else"
Kent Winrich
Raleigh, NC