Propogation software for SW

The voices heard 'round the world
K9EZ
Site Admin

Propogation software for SW

Post by K9EZ » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:23 am

Here are a couple of links for those of us that have Shortwave stations.

VOACAP, the standard. Can be used for Ham radio as well:
http://lipas.uwasa.fi/~jpe/voacap/

I have not used this one yet, but it looks real promising. It uses VOACAP as its base:
http://www.g4ilo.com/voaprop.html

Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:31 am

As one of the engineers that helped shepherd VOACAP into existance, I'm glad to see that it still gets used!

K9EZ
Site Admin

Post by K9EZ » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:39 am

Dave Loudin wrote:As one of the engineers that helped shepherd VOACAP into existance, I'm glad to see that it still gets used!
WOW you helped to create it???? All I can say is THANK YOU!!!! I have been using it like crazy here on Ft Bragg. I look forward to using it in my Ham Radio fun as well!

Now the question is, do you still have ties to VOA?

Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:19 am

I was part of a team that helped define improvements to IONCAP, the ionospheric modelling program developed by the Army. For a while, I also supervised the Naval Research Labs work in doing the coding changes. We used IONCAP with some custom post-processing to supply the design requirement for the antenna arrays built at the Morocco, Thailand, and Sao Tome sites. After working on the systems engineering side, I transferred over to be the head of the technical monitoring branch through 1995 (you'll see my name in a WRTH or two).

I left VOA at that point as engineering was getting squeezed pretty hard. I'm now working for the Navy.