Acoustic problem! Need some help.

ingeborgdot

Acoustic problem! Need some help.

Post by ingeborgdot » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:17 pm

This is not a home studio but a classroom studio that I need some acoustic help with. I have carpet on 3/4 of the walls and carper on the floor. The back wall which is a green wall is a hard surface and the big observation window we have from our control room is also hard. I have put up over 36 3" foam acoustic tiles on the side walls to help and it has but not enough. The ceiling is suspended but it has been painted black which may have taken away much of the acoustic properties. I do believe much of the resonance is coming from the ceiling. Is there something anyone would recommend to help that could be placed on the ceiling? Burlap? Foam? Does anyone know or can you steer me in the right direction? Thanks.

Shane

Re: Acoustic problem! Need some help.

Post by Shane » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:45 pm

How hard would it be to replace the ceiling tiles?

Another alternative: Heavy curtains on the walls. Carpet won't always work - there are products available that will "sound condition" a wall, some which can be installed as wall covering, others which attach to the wall. Aurelex is a brand name that comes to mind for things to attach to the walls and ceilings to break up reflections.

I am assuming the foam acoustic tiles you have already installed are flat against the wall.

Cover any tables in the room with a heavy tablecloth. Or introduce a table with a heavy tablecloth if there is none.

Just off the top of my head.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

Baylink

Post by Baylink » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:16 pm

Spelled Auralex, actually. Note that architectural sonic conditioning -- especially for public spaces -- has to be fire rated, or it will nullify your insurance; it might require a permit and inspection as well.

ingeborgdot

Post by ingeborgdot » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:07 pm

I have heard that removing some of the suspended ceiling tiles could help for acoustic problems. Is this true?

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:08 pm

ingeborgdot wrote:I have heard that removing some of the suspended ceiling tiles could help for acoustic problems. Is this true?
Not necessarily -- in fact, it can add new acoustic problems, especially noise from air handling equipment.

Is the control room window directly opposite from your chromakey wall? If so, the parallel hard surfaces could be giving you a lot of slap echo. You might consider building a flat for the chromakey wall, and angling it so it is no longer parallel to the window. Another possible solution is to hang chromakey green fabric several inches in front of the wall... something like this could work.

If your switcher has a really good chromakeyer (like the Ultrachrome in the newer Ross switchers), you could even try using a material like Auralex Studiofoam wedges in Kelly Green for your chromakey wall (the texture would go vertically). You will need to use strip lighting, probably fluorescent, to minimize the contour visible on camera.

-- Jeff