Remote Operation of Video Switcher

tricasting23

Remote Operation of Video Switcher

Post by tricasting23 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:29 am

I am working on a 4-camera live production of a radio (and now TV) show. We have 4 PTZ cameras (we selected these because there is little space in the studio for conventional cameras) hooked up to a Tricaster 410. From the Tricaster we stream online and also broadcast out through SDI.

What I am trying to research, is whether it is possible to either:

1. Remotely control the video switcher.

2. Stream the video sources to a remote location, and house the Tricaster and operator at that location for local switching.

What ways exist to do this? What I have thought of for option #1 is hooking up the Tricaster to a KVM over IP switch and then, according to others I've spoken with, connecting the audio out of the Tricaster to a phone interface to listen to low-latency audio from the studio. But then there are reliability issues with the internet connection.

Any ideas?

Baylink

Re: Remote Operation of Video Switcher

Post by Baylink » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:12 am

KVM over IP might work; depends on the framerate of the video on the control surface monitor (I'm not familiar with all the Tricasters). If that's running actual Windows, as I think it is, you might also be able to use Turbo or TigerVNC to remote the console screen. If you have enough bandwidth, you could go the opposite direction, and backhaul the camera feeds, moving the Tricaster to the local site.