IP Studios

mfd70

IP Studios

Post by mfd70 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:50 pm

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experience with IP Studios and/or IP broadcast centers ?
I've been briefly involved in a IP studio trial which has been my first experience of "real world" IP based products from several vendors, I'm sure the studio will work well and the trial will be a success. However I do wonder about a few things;
Is the main selling point of IP that you can dispense with expensive "broadcast" hardware like SDI routers etc. and use "commodity" IT hardware and infrastructure ? If so then is the one-off cost of equipping a facility with "commodity" 10Gig switches and fiber with suitable levels of resilience and redundancy substantially less than conventional broadcast hardware ?
Although there is inherent flexibility with an IP based system, unless you plan of constant re-configuration of your facility, is that a relevant consideration.
Although system support "should" be easier(cheaper) since there are a lot more IT engineers that understand IP and network concepts than there are broadcast engineers, from what I've seen, fault finding will be a long and difficult process, certainly for early adopters, meaning more engineering support and an inevitable increase in systems down-time and the resultant extra-resilience which will be required to get something on screen for the viewers (and revenue for the advertisers) ?
Perhaps someone with experience with IP facilities will have some ideas ?

Thanks

KPJL FM

Re: IP Studios

Post by KPJL FM » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:11 am

One of the biggest selling points is the reduced cost of installation. Between video cables, connectors and labor, IP over Ethernet is cheaper and faster to install. The routing, etc., is inherent in the devices attached to the network, like the video and audio mixers. The consoles ('boards') are just mice and keyboards, the actual signals rarely go to the console. cuts down on phase and delay problems also. Maintenance can be easier and faster if the active devices are in a TOC or rack room, troubleshooting away from studio/master control. It's a lot faster and usually cheaper to replace a unit in the rack rather than repairing the console in-place.
Then there's the ease of remote monitoring and control.
Unless the facility is only a small mom-pop outfit, going digital is great for almost every aspect of operation.
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.