SDI: "standardize" audio

maweber

SDI: "standardize" audio

Post by maweber » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:05 am

Hi all

I'm looking for a way to get rid of bitstream codecs in SDI.
I'd like to end up with PCM in SDI whatever input there was.

Does somebody know of a solution for this?
Thanks!
Manu

PID_Stop

Re: SDI: "standardize" audio

Post by PID_Stop » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:53 pm

I am confused by your question. Embedded audio, per SMPTE standard 272M (for standard definition) or 299M (for high definition) is is typically PCM. It is possible to send otherwise encoded data in the same space -- Dolby E, for instance -- but that's not the normal case. Is what you're looking for some sort of decoder?

-- Jeff

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:18 pm

It sounds like he's looking to de-embed and insert new embedded audio from an external source.

A simple embedder would do that.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

maweber

Post by maweber » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:55 pm

PID_Stop wrote:I am confused by your question. Embedded audio, per SMPTE standard 272M (for standard definition) or 299M (for high definition) is is typically PCM. It is possible to send otherwise encoded data in the same space -- Dolby E, for instance -- but that's not the normal case. Is what you're looking for some sort of decoder?

-- Jeff
Yes a typical work line is PCM, but certain cases (consumer devices input) ie DD ac3 is typically just handed over.

i'm having troubles handling those codecs on the end point. The question was, can I "normalize" the data "in the middle" instead of buying endpoint devices for each case.

meanwhile i found sdi-sdi devices for this exact use (including Dolby E) by axon or sonifex, but for $6k+.

maweber

Post by maweber » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:08 am

NECRAT wrote:It sounds like he's looking to de-embed and insert new embedded audio from an external source.

A simple embedder would do that.
it seems it's not that simple. though obvious i agree.
because these codecs are covered by licenses, very few manufacturers do to-pcm conversion.

of course any tv set does..

technically it is very easy to decode that material with open source software. given these troubles i will consider building my own sdi-to-sdi box with ffmpeg.

best
m