Video link to CATV Headend

greek

Video link to CATV Headend

Post by greek » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:18 pm

Hi. I'm currently operating a 24hr OTT channel, mainly received on OTT Setup boxes such as Roku, Kodi and Android TV Boxes. I'm streaming in H.264 at 1Mbps, NTSC SD to a Nimble Streamer RTMP Server.

Now I'm thinking to make a pitch to our local Cable-TV company to carry the channel (IPTV and/or Digital cable)

My question is: What equipment do TV stations use to carry the video signal from Master Control to the Cable Company Head-End? What is the industry standard?

Alternatively, can the cable company pick up the RTMP video from the Internet and feed it in their system?

Thanks for any tips!

Dimitri Papadopoulos
Montreal Greek TV
GreekTV.ca

Deep Thought

Re: Video link to CATV Headend

Post by Deep Thought » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:57 pm

Most TV stations have a fiber link to larger cable headends. Some are picked up via OTA HDTV (that's how the satellite TV outfits get most local stations). I don't think anyone serious about picture quality would pull something off the Internet.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

PID_Stop

Re: Video link to CATV Headend

Post by PID_Stop » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:17 pm

Deep Thought wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:57 pm
Most TV stations have a fiber link to larger cable headends. Some are picked up via OTA HDTV (that's how the satellite TV outfits get most local stations). I don't think anyone serious about picture quality would pull something off the Internet.
At each of our regional stations, the cable company provisions a fiber to the studio and provides the equipment to drive it. The systems we feed expect to see an ASI signal that consists of the program service(s) plus PSIP... so you would need the same sort of encoding equipment that would be found in a regular television station. Another consideration that might be important is the presence of closed captions; I have no idea what the requirements are for that in Canada. This is going to be a very tall order if your program content is coming from the internet or if it passes through HDMI connections (HDMI doesn't support caption data).

Jeff