Climbing live towers?

It's just radio with pictures! :)
sillywilly98

Climbing live towers?

Post by sillywilly98 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:26 pm

I am asking these questions for a friend and have never climbed any cell tower or broadcast tower in my life. So any way my friend climbs this low power tv transmission tower quite regularly that is 1000 ft and operates off 22kw he always stops at least 30 ft before the antenna. The Electrical Beam Tilt is 1 degree. My friend wants to climb a tower that is much powerfull like over 1000 kw. The reason being is that the tower has 3 beams that are 200 ft + long at the top. Is there any chance this would be safe with a rf suit? Do rf suits block almost all the rf? Also how bad is climbing a 22kw tower for my friends health? He never ever has felt funny and climbs past all the dishes quickly on his way up. Last thing please don't lecture him on falling he has a harness, cable grab, and lanyards he has climbed well over 40 cell towers and know what he is doing on the falling aspect of thing's. Maybe not the rf aspect of things tho haha. Thanks for the replies in advance!!!!!! I am so glad to have your HELPFUL :!: replies!!!!!

Deep Thought

Re: Climbing live towers?

Post by Deep Thought » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:41 pm

First and foremost, does your "friend" work as an installation or maintenance technician and has a legitimate reason to be up there?
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

sillywilly98

Post by sillywilly98 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:55 pm

He works on the smaller towers he doesn't ever do any property damage when he is climbing recreationally he is very careful to only touch structural steel. He has never even clipped a fence. I feel if he wants to do damage to his body that is his issue and no one should care since he is not causing any trouble.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:18 pm

There is no such thing as recreational climbing of radio towers. It is called trespassing, is a Federal crime in the US and you won't get any help here. Sorry.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:08 pm

Mark is correct. There is no such thing as "recreational climbing" of transmission/cellular and other steel towers in the US. That doesn't happen.

Judging from how your friend is not coordinating with the licensee to reduce RFR levels, he is not legally climbing the tower, and we do not condone such activity here.

Understand that if your friend is caught climbing the tower illegally, it is a federal crime, and he can be arrested. Even if he is not causing any harm.

What if I walked into your house, through your unlocked door. I am just walking "recreationally".
I may not be causing any harm, but I am still breaking the law, and you wouldn't like it.
Same applies here.

This topic is closed for further discussion.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"