Multiviewers

It's just radio with pictures! :)
Post Reply
kc9hta
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:39 pm
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana

Multiviewers

Post by kc9hta » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:21 am

I've been tasked to build a new layout for one of our stations. I'm just getting acquainted with VIP and MVP systems. Has anyone used Maestro before? I'm trying to add more user text labels, but it only seems to support four per screen.

w9wi
Posts: 830
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:40 am
Location: Pleasant View, Tennessee
Contact:

Re: Multiviewers

Post by w9wi » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:39 am

kc9hta wrote:I've been tasked to build a new layout for one of our stations. I'm just getting acquainted with VIP and MVP systems. Has anyone used Maestro before? I'm trying to add more user text labels, but it only seems to support four per screen.
Yuck, Maestro:)

You can have text labels associated with a particular input, and you can have standalone labels not associated with any source. (the former might label a window as being "CAM 2". The latter, we have one tied to a GPI so it's normally black-on-black but goes red on tally to read "ON-AIR")

I've never tried to associate more than one label with an input. You can definitely have more than four labeled inputs. I've also never tried more than four unassociated labels on a monitor. (but would be surprised if you couldn't)

Can you elaborate a bit on what you're trying to do & what isn't happening? I suspect I'm not understanding exactly what's going on. That, and my terminology is probably messed up because I'm 30 miles from the equipment and try very hard to forget about Maestro:)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

kc9hta
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:39 pm
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana

Re: Multiviewers

Post by kc9hta » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:58 pm

I was trying to label sources using "user text" but after calling Evertz they told me the proper way of labeling is using "under monitor display." I finally figured the labeling out, but now the ntp server settings are working. I'm might just run LTC to the device, but would rather use NTP.

Have you had any luck with NTP?

grich
Posts: 302
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:19 am
Location: MP89.5, Mason City Subdivision

Re: Multiviewers

Post by grich » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:35 pm

I've had no trouble with NTP. The catch is you need an IP address in the NTP setup on the VIP web page...no URL names. Make sure you have your other networking settings correct on the VIP web page.

Ditto on Yuck, Maestro. :(

User avatar
NECRAT
Site Admin
Posts: 2940
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:13 pm
Location: Taunton, MA
Contact:

Re: Multiviewers

Post by NECRAT » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:36 pm

grich wrote:I've had no trouble with NTP. The catch is you need an IP address in the NTP setup on the VIP web page...no URL names. Make sure you have your other networking settings correct on the VIP web page.

Ditto on Yuck, Maestro. :(
Not sure why everyone is so down on Maestro. We had it in Providence, and it worked very well. It's a little quirky to setup but once you do, it looks really nice.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

grich
Posts: 302
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:19 am
Location: MP89.5, Mason City Subdivision

Re: Multiviewers

Post by grich » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:07 pm

It's just clunky to me. Didn't help that for awhile, we had an outdated version that would crash all the time.

We have lots of stuff happening on our screens...EAS and on-air indicators, timers, CC and audio monitoring, and a monitor whose label tracks what router input is being fed to it. Smarter folks than me set all that stuff up, but I've set up basic monitor and clock windows.

w9wi
Posts: 830
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:40 am
Location: Pleasant View, Tennessee
Contact:

Re: Multiviewers

Post by w9wi » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:28 pm

NECRAT wrote:
grich wrote:I've had no trouble with NTP. The catch is you need an IP address in the NTP setup on the VIP web page...no URL names. Make sure you have your other networking settings correct on the VIP web page.

Ditto on Yuck, Maestro. :(
Not sure why everyone is so down on Maestro. We had it in Providence, and it worked very well. It's a little quirky to setup but once you do, it looks really nice.
Configuration is a royal pain. (IMHO "...a little quirky..." is a serious understatement :) ) Once you've figured out how to get it configured, it really does look nice and work well.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

rftranstv
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:13 am

Re: Multiviewers

Post by rftranstv » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:16 am

Miranda Kaleido series is a good system. Have two,reliable and flexible.

User avatar
NECRAT
Site Admin
Posts: 2940
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:13 pm
Location: Taunton, MA
Contact:

Re: Multiviewers

Post by NECRAT » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:55 pm

rftranstv wrote:Miranda Kaleido series is a good system. Have two,reliable and flexible.
We have the KX from Miranda and seem to have a lot of issues with the input cards on it.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

rftranstv
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:13 am

Re: Multiviewers

Post by rftranstv » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:15 am

NECRAT wrote:
rftranstv wrote:Miranda Kaleido series is a good system. Have two,reliable and flexible.
We have the KX from Miranda and seem to have a lot of issues with the input cards on it.
Really? I have two Kaleido-x and one kaleido alto. Things have ran non stop for since before i got here. The monitors they feed have stop working,but the multiviewers themselves have never had any issues.

kc9hta
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:39 pm
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana

Re: Multiviewers

Post by kc9hta » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:56 pm

Well I got everything configured properly. UMD labels aren't too hard to configure and I also managed to add 608 and 708 CC critical errors too. Overall I'm impressed with the software....it just took a day or two to get acquainted with it.

Thanks for your help guys.

Nathan

Post Reply