Larcan Support Announced.

It's just radio with pictures! :)
w4cl

Larcan Support Announced.

Post by w4cl » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:08 am

This showed up in emails of Larcan transmitter customers today:

Hello LARCAN Users!

There is good news for you as a user of a LARCAN transmitter, translator, encoder or M/H system. While the outcome of the closing of LARCAN remains unclear, you now clearly have a way to receive product support including parts, repairs, and technical services both by phone and on site.

I have teamed up with Bill Meechem who has 30 years of experience as a LARCAN Engineer. Bill and I, along with several other former LARCAN technicians and engineers make up our team. Our team is your source for the best technical and engineering expertise for products manufactured by the presently closed LARCAN company. We are your source for component parts and certain sub-assemblies including replacement exciters.

Our service extends to all RF products manufactured by LARCAN. These product lines are:

• Cool Dock Series Liquid-Cooled Solid State UHF Digital Transmitters
• Magnum Series Air-Cooled Solid State UHF Analog and Digital UHF Transmitters
• M Series High Power Solid State VHF Analog and Digital Transmitters
• Landmark Series IOT-Equipped UHF DTV Transmitters
• MX Series and MXi Series Low Power Transmitters and Translators

We welcome the opportunity to provide you with any immediate assistance you might require or help you budget for needs in the coming fiscal year. Here are a few things you might consider:

• Module Repairs
• Exciter Upgrades
• On Site Transmitter Repairs
• Remote Technical Support
• Transmitter Optimization/Proof

Each individual on the team has decades of RF and broadcast equipment experience: for some, mostly with LARCAN. Your most experienced and knowledgeable source for LARCAN support is from Maple Leaf RF Systems and Service.

I am also engaged as an independent agent for igolgi product support and sales. Igolgi MPEG-4 encoders are in service as part of a number of LARCAN M/H systems delivered. New MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 encoder needs for ATSC, ENG or Video over IP applications? Consider Igolgi for proven reliable and robust software-based encoder solutions.

Have a new UHF or VHF transmission system need? “Stay tuned” for more information about that!

Thank you very much for being a part of the LARCAN family. I hope this message finds you well and provides a level of relief for those wondering who to turn to for LARCAN support. We look forward to hearing from you and the opportunity to help you realize the full extent of the expected life of your LARCAN equipment. We’ll be glad to answer any questions.

Sincerely,

Joe
Joe Wozniak
Maple Leaf RF Systems & Service LLC

610-792-7283 (office)
267-408-3037 (cell)

Kelly

Re: Larcan Support Announced.

Post by Kelly » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:09 am

That's excellent! Quite a commitment, considering as a business model alone, nobody is going to get rich providing parts and serivce for some aging TV transmitters. At least the old Larcan tech support folks, (however many were left when the company started falling into hard times) are working somewhere, doing what they do best.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:05 am

There is a history of this in the broadcast equipment biz, so it isn't entirely out in left field. The key is having access to the repair parts, which they evidently do have. Good for them.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

w4cl

Post by w4cl » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:19 pm

Joe Wozniak came by my place this week and he says they are in it for real. He admitted no one knows what will happen to "Larcan" per se' but the closing was completely unexpected and it was total. Everyone lost their jobs and I guess things are just as they were left when the doors were closed. Maple Leaf is here to help those with Larcan product.

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:59 pm

Deep Thought wrote:There is a history of this in the broadcast equipment biz, so it isn't entirely out in left field. The key is having access to the repair parts, which they evidently do have. Good for them.

Accelerated Media Technologies is a good example in the TV industry of this.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:37 pm

FYI, those numbers Charles posted in 2014 are still good. Used them for my emergency this morning.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

w4cl

Post by w4cl » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:25 pm

Joe Wozniak was just by here yesterday to let us know Maple Leaf is still in business supporting legacy Larcan and is doing low power installs for translators and such. Depending on how the repack goes, they may also be offering higher power gear.

In the last couple of months Joe and his guys have really come through for us. Nothing major, but those guys know where to find the parts and not get your head handed to you on the price. They even rebuilt a 5kw 3db combine for a Magnum for me. It has been nice to know that many of the same people I dealt with at Larcan are still at the other end of the phone when I need them.