Day Recorders

It's just radio with pictures! :)
sam_gordon

Day Recorders

Post by sam_gordon » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:19 pm

Hello All.

We're in search of a long term solution to our old day recorder system. We used to have long-form VHS recorders (fit 1 day on one 2 hour tape) recording our off air signal.

Those finally died and we moved to some servers. They work great, when they work. However we're getting very inconsistent results.

The main problem is we want to keep our content for a year.

We've tried Volicon, but it takes too long to export content onto DVDs (~2 days export time for 1 day real time).

We've thought of TiVo or other DVR type solution, but we don't know how long it takes to transfer content off (onto hard drives, DVDs, BD).

Is anyone else out there keeping a year's worth of off air signal? Quality does NOT have to be HD, I think it can even be analog 480. It's so auditors can call up a certain day, certain hour, certain minute and confirm a certain spot ran when our logs say it did.

Suggestions?

NECRAT
Site Admin

Re: Day Recorders

Post by NECRAT » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:21 pm

We use Volicon with a NAS, so there isn't a need to export. If a client wants video, we export the clip alone. Leave everything on the NAS.

Whatever you do, stay away from Digital Nirvana. We had nothing but headaches with that device.

If you really want DVDs, you could just use a couple of DVD recorders and a tuner. You can get 8 hours per disk.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:34 pm

For what it's worth, TiVo's transfer speed is about the same as realtime.

Unfortunately the box you want for that is a Humax DRT800 with an integral DVD recorder and upgraded drive (I still use mine), but those are 10 years old now and made of unobtanium.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

rftranstv

Post by rftranstv » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:15 am

ya volicon works well...well at first when we got our servers there were a lot of bugs but now that they are worked out it works like a champ...used to use masslogger.

grich

Post by grich » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:59 am

We also use Volicon. I set up an export computer that runs low-res export jobs for our three streams at midnight. We end up with 24 1-hour clips for each stream per day. Exported clips are saved to a 1TB drive in a sled. One drive each month. Put the old drives on the shelf and reuse them when we don't need the saved content any more. We have always saved for a year before reusing the media, including the old system...four VHS decks running a 6-hour slice of each day. Four tapes per day. Zillions of tapes.

sam_gordon

Post by sam_gordon » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:04 pm

grich wrote:We also use Volicon. I set up an export computer that runs low-res export jobs for our three streams at midnight. We end up with 24 1-hour clips for each stream per day. Exported clips are saved to a 1TB drive in a sled. One drive each month. Put the old drives on the shelf and reuse them when we don't need the saved content any more. We have always saved for a year before reusing the media, including the old system...four VHS decks running a 6-hour slice of each day. Four tapes per day. Zillions of tapes.
Do those export jobs happen automatically? If so, do you mind sharing the code/process?

I've got a call in to our Volicon sales rep to see if we can expand our storage, but it will probably be cost prohibitive (isn't everything? :roll: )

I talked to a Volicon tech about saving to a NAS and he said that's doable, but if there's any kind of network hiccup, you can lose a lot of data (Volicon apparently doesn't recover well by itself).

grich

Post by grich » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:40 am

With Volicon's help, build a Producer computer with a removable drive sled. The export jobs will save to (in our case) W:\ProducerJobsOutput, so whatever drive is in the sled needs to be W: and have a ProducerJobsOutput folder in the root of W:.

Export jobs are set up in the Volicon Observer webpage. Jobs are set to be recurring, span 0000 to 2359, split into 1-hour chunks, be low-res, and export to Producer Jobs Output. Have a job for each stream Observer is set up to monitor. Each stream will have it's own folder in W:\ProducerJobsOutput. Volicon can walk you through the process if you haven't done that before.

sam_gordon

Post by sam_gordon » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:01 pm

Great!

We'll have to give that a try.

Thanks!