Broadcast quality dashcams?

It's just radio with pictures! :)
w9wi

Broadcast quality dashcams?

Post by w9wi » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:07 am

Any of you doing dashcams?

I'm finding two choices:

- Dashcam dashcams.
Automatically record a continuous loop while the engine is running, no operator intervention required.
Picture quality stinks.

- Not dashcam dashcams. (i.e., GoPro)
Good quality.
Must be manually started when vehicle is started. Operator will forget to intervene resulting in no video at all.

Do any of you know of an autostarting dashcam with decent quality? Or a way to get a GoPro to automatically start when the vehicle is started?
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

Bill DeFelice

Re: Broadcast quality dashcams?

Post by Bill DeFelice » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:05 am

I got the Street Guardian SGZC12RC v2 edition and it works quite well. Three different modes for video and the two least compressed videos looks amazing. They don't draw alot of current and have parking mode, meaning they'll record with motion sensing.

They're made in China but marketed by an Aussie company. I have some early footage before I dropped the bitrate someplace. If I can find it I'll loft it up somewhere so you can look at it.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:00 pm

There's a link to some decent-looking video (apparently shot in Ireland) on that site.

Can you turn off the timestamp?

The motion sensing means it will automatically start recording when the vehicle moves?
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:54 am

I never noticed if you can disable the timestamp, but you might want to drop a line to the regional rep. at Pier38. Considering how good the support at Street Guardian is perhaps they might make that a firmware option if it's not already there.

As far as motion sensing goes, the unit is triggered by motion but it also buffers 5 seconds prior to the motion that triggered the recording so you get a little preroll prior to the trigger event The cameras also have a G sensor in them so events like accidents trigger recording/saving and those files are saved in a separate folder from the "regular" video files. Motion sense is also referred to as "parking mode" top allow monitoring the vehicle when parked in a lot, etc. Disabling that allows the camera to record without interruption upon power up (i.e., always recording and saving regardless of motion).

I've been very happy with mine so far though it's only been a few weeks of operation with them.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

RCATTU55C

Post by RCATTU55C » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:51 am

We have been using a cheap Marshall lipstick camera for "Mobile Action Cams". The unit can output an HD as well as a CVBS signal at the same time. This is nice for existing installs where you are upgrading to HD. Only complaint is the little dongle isn't quite long enough to hide nicely in a vehicle. We switch our cams on manually BUT runs on 12v DC so you could wire it to the vehicle fuse box. You can plug this into an existing COFDM transmitter, cell bonded device or HD field recorder. for a 1/3, it performs decent under low lux. I do recommend getting the Marshall mount, making our own was a mistake.

http://www.lcdracks.com/servers-cameras ... Camera.php

Good Luck!

73's

Steve