NBC: spurious Namedropper trigger?

It's just radio with pictures! :)
w9wi

NBC: spurious Namedropper trigger?

Post by w9wi » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:18 pm

Are there any other NBC engineers on here?

Did anyone else have their Namedropper trigger its Today Show news crawl during Nightly tonight? (Friday 2/26)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

PID_Stop

Re: NBC: spurious Namedropper trigger?

Post by PID_Stop » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:32 am

I didn't get any reports of this from our Elmira or Binghamton stations, and I don't see it on the SpotCheck confidence recorder. Could it have been something kicking a GPI? Another possibility is that you might have something that's stepping on the trigger data in the VANC: if you have a way to monitor the data, you'll find Namedropper triggers on line 11 field 1, DID 0x52h, SDID 0xFh.

Funny you should ask about this just now: only last week I installed new cross-converters from Cobalt in order to bridge the Namedropper VANC triggers through regional control room, which is all 720p...

If I had seen it in our stations, I might have suspected that NBC was yutzing around in preparation for today's graphics changeover. (Come to think of it, that could be exactly what happened... aren't you in the Central time zone? You might be taking a different service than what we use here in the Eastern zone.)

-- Jeff

KE0MI

Post by KE0MI » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:13 pm

Yup, they put the Today Show crawl with time and temperature in from 17:31:15 to 17:33:20. I didn't check the rest of the show, however.

grich

Post by grich » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:18 pm

We had it here in Des Moines. We take Feed 1 of Nightly, same as EC stations.
PID_Stop wrote:...If I had seen it in our stations, I might have suspected that NBC was yutzing around in preparation for today's graphics changeover.
I'm sure someone at NBC wuz messin'...

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:36 pm

Yeah, that's what I was thinking -- that someone in NY was messing around.. today's graphics switch was too much of a coincidence...

And yes, we're on the Central feed.

(and yes, I've fought mangled VANC before, back before we hubbed. I forget what was doing the mangling, I want to say it was a Harris XHD3903 crossconverter but could be misremembering...)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:19 am

KE0MI wrote:Yup, they put the Today Show crawl with time and temperature in from 17:31:15 to 17:33:20. I didn't check the rest of the show, however.
I was wrong: our stations were triggered after all... must have checked the wrong times.

Sigh.

-- Jeff