Drone (sUAS) Coordination?

It's just radio with pictures! :)
KE0MI

Drone (sUAS) Coordination?

Post by KE0MI » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:05 am

A quick question about those using flying cameras to gather news. As they become more active at news events, is there anyone doing anything to coordinate use, frequencies, etc. the way we did BAS ENG shots and wireless mic frequencies? (At least on the guys that are following the rules?) Yes, I have engaged my asbestos underwear, so let me know how you really feel.

Shane

Re: Drone (sUAS) Coordination?

Post by Shane » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:06 am

That's a good question and perhaps a way for an SBE freq coordinator to also serve. Our local chapter just met today and the coordinator had little to report and mentioned that he had more business in the summertime (Omaha being the location of the Collefe World Series for one thing).

Perhaps as this "takes off" SBE could serve in this area.

So now I'll have some -new business- at the next meeting in January!
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:51 pm

As the owner of one quadcopter and one Octocopter, I can try and help. There are several recent rules for the use of "drones" for video or news gathering. Many stations, networks or vendors who offer their services have hired certified pilots with Part 107 certification to fly their UAV's along with at least one professional spotter. Beyond the need for frequency coordination as you mentioned, some other rules include:

* Flying UAV's are limited to 400' AGL
* Any UAV over 2 lbs in weight, must be registered with the FAA
* At no time can UAV's be flown over people. The Pilot In Command and spotter are responsible for keeping the UAV away from anyone on the ground.
* Class G airspace
* Can't fly within 5 miles of an airport
* Must keep the aircraft in sight (visual line-of-sight)
* Must fly during the day
* Must fly at or below 100 mph
* Must yield right of way to manned aircraft
* Must NOT fly from a moving vehicle
* Must pass an initial aeronautical knowledge test at an FAA-approved knowledge testing center.
* Must be vetted by the Transportation Safety Administration (TSA)

And lots more. Here's a link: https://federaldroneauthority.org/drone-regulations/

Regarding frequency coordination, it depends what you're doing. If using devices that operate in the unlicensed 2.4 or 5.8G spectrum, the event you're working may, or may not limit the use of unlicensed devices. Otherwise, any other transmitters are regulated by the same rules for that band/frequency, airborne or not.

wb9fhr

Post by wb9fhr » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:06 am

OK Want Drones? Went to this show last night at Disney World. 300+ drones in the air at same time doing a Disney light show at night.
5 min long. Do a bit of digging and you will also find a video about putting it together with some pix of the drones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHHMrvaXgyA

Impressive. Christmas tree and the dove.

KE0MI

Post by KE0MI » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:26 am

Kelly,
I also have a part 107 certificate, and fly an Inspire 1 Pro for newsgathering. I successfully received a 107.29 waiver which allows operations after civil twilight, which the law also allows. The 2.4/5.8 unlicensed spectrum is not as much concern to me as the general airspace coordination. Helicopter pilots talk to each other whenever they are working the same scene, I was hoping for some common (radio or other) communication channels for part 107 operators.

I have had flights that local "hobbyist" quadcopter operators decided to fly in an unsafe manner, which are allowed under their guidelines. This will prove to be the bigger threat to safety, in my opinion.

Shane

Post by Shane » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:30 pm

From the Nebraska Broadcasters Association:

The FREE Operations Manual referred to below can be found here:

The 23-page guidebook (found at dronejournalismlab.org) covers everything from how to conduct a preflight briefing to the ethical issues journalists should consider before flying a drone.

Some good info in there. NU has had a drone journalism lab for some time now.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---