Can´t receive sat freq over 11500 V or H

It's just radio with pictures! :)
jazem

Can´t receive sat freq over 11500 V or H

Post by jazem » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:28 pm

Hi,

I have a technical question that I hope I can solve with your help. I work as SNG engineer in a TV station in the Middle East. After several years, I have been struggling to receive satellite signals from several satellites transmitting in frequency over 11500 V or H. The reason for this is due to a company near us (about 500 meters away) that sells Showtime (movie and sports channels) signals to residents in the district ( from 11700 H or V up to 30,000 5/6). This means that we have had major problems getting any Satellite signal in the frequency above 11500 V or H. It does not matter what the satellite it is, NileSat, W6, 3B heigh, 3B low. All the satellites we try to reach are hit and impossible to reach. Our Spectrum Monitor shows other signals in motion all the time.

My question is how we can receive satellite signals from the frequency that we apply for? Is this possible in one way or another? Can you protect the satellite signals we receive? Our satellites are installed on the roof of a high block over 27 m high.

Hope for help and contributions to solve this problem!

Kind regards Jazem

NECRAT
Site Admin

Re: Can´t receive sat freq over 11500 V or H

Post by NECRAT » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:05 pm

Hi!

One thing you haven't mentioned is the size of your satellite antennas, and the style of the reflector. (Solid versus Mesh).
A larger dish can have a narrower focus, that results in a higher gain. (And would be less prone to general noise).
Although I am not 100% sure how the other offending signals are being transmitted, there may not be much you can do short of relocating.

-- Mike
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

jazem

Post by jazem » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:01 am

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. We have tried just solid and we have done it in all dish sizes (from ). 0.5 m to 1.2m, 1,8 m, 2.2 m. Do you have any recommendation for dish type?

/Jazem

jazem

Post by jazem » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:28 am

I'm recording video where I analyze the signal with Spectrum, while literally moving the dish at 90 degrees angle! As you can see, the signals from the ShowTime company do not disappear, which interferes us to retrieve signals from satellites that we try to reach!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hptskck8rq61r ... 9.mp4?dl=0

Jim Sofonia

Post by Jim Sofonia » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:55 pm

I would say use the largest dish you have preferably offset focus rather than prime focus. also is it possible to ground mount the dish? High rooftop dishes are more prone to interference. Maybe try to position the dish on the side of your building that would shadow it from the interfering source.

jazem

Post by jazem » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:39 pm

Yes, if I go outside the building, I can receive the signals I am looking for. But it will be a completely different case! It is not as easy to secure the area outside the building. Is it possible to build something on the roof that could remove or prevent the interfering signals?

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:11 pm

Back in the early days of satellite-delivered programming in the USA it was not unusual to have to enclose the dish in some sort of metal mesh to avoid terrestrial interference from things like AT&T microwave relay installations. Do you have enough room (and permission) to build a "mesh wall" (basically a fence made out of hardware cloth) which can form a box around the dish?
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

jazem

Post by jazem » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:03 am

Yes, I have the space and permission. Will a fence made out of hardware cloth fix this issue you think? And how far / close the dish should this fence be installed? Thanks for your feedback!