How is it done?

More channels means more money for the techs, right?
florianwilde

How is it done?

Post by florianwilde » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:25 am

Hello there people my name is Florian and I got a question.

Im part of an organisation and we have done some analog local television and now it is time to switch on digital TV. So since this is my task I tested around for hours and hours and somebody told me all you need is a streaming card from DekTec the DTA-105 and the included StreamExpress software. The Problem is that the DekTec software only works with MPEG-2 Transport Stream files and I what I can do is take a existing file and stream it with the card. But that is not what I want to do since I want to make some live TV and not record things to send em relive. The information in the Internet about producing digital TV is very rare and so this Forum is my last hope for some help.

So what I need is somebody who can tell me how to create a .ts file for a realtime playout of my windows desktop over the DecTek card.

I know that there are some systems who can do all the stuff needed but to be honest ... they cost lots of money and I am searching for a solution without spending thousands of €.

I hope sb can help me and sorry for my bad English

PID_Stop

Re: How is it done?

Post by PID_Stop » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:23 am

Welcome to the forum, Florian!

One of the key points about live digital television is that is it not generally file-based; instead, you are feeding some video source (a camera, the output of a switcher, for example) into an encoder that converts the audio and video into a real-time transport stream (which is what ".ts" stands for, if you capture a sample as a file).

Unfortunately, broadcast encoders are not inexpensive; if you want a better understanding of this sort of equipment, you might start by looking at manufacturers like Harmonic or Imagine Communications.

It might be that I am not understanding what your needs are -- this is a forum for broadcast engineers, so I tend to think first of broadcast solutions.

Cheers,

Jeff

florianwilde

Post by florianwilde » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:10 pm

Many thanks Jeff for your answer.

So what I basically wanna do is record the desktop of a windows computer with a software and play this out over my DekTec card. The TV-Channel we have is just a simple "information-channel" similar to an automated PowerPoint show.

I found out how to make a Transport-Stream out of an RTMP-Stream but the biggest Problem is that the Software of the DekTec card wants an .ts file for playout and not an UDP or RTP transport stream. :/

Cheers,

awadi

Post by awadi » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:13 pm

Hey Florian,

I havent tried it myself, but as i know VLC is capable of capturing your desktop and transcoding it to MPEG-TS.

Hope this helps.

regards