Video Encoders

More channels means more money for the techs, right?
w9wi

Re: Video Encoders

Post by w9wi » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 pm

NECRAT wrote: Make sure if you have one of those Wegener Neilsen people meter boxes after the MV500 (anywhere after it, even down in the 310 stream), that you turn Seamless RC off under the video advanced settings. The Wegener box doesn't like SRC being turned on. (Neither does the FOX Splicer...)
Oh really? Thanks for the heads-up! We do have a Wegner Nave IIc downstream...
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

eadler

Post by eadler » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:13 pm

Also, as with most encoders out there for ATSC, make sure that autodetect film mode/repeat field detection is off, this apparently causes all sorts of audio problems with receivers.
Eric "tonsofpcs" Adler
http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/
Twitter: @eric_adler

w4cl

Post by w4cl » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:09 pm

eadler wrote:Also, as with most encoders out there for ATSC, make sure that autodetect film mode/repeat field detection is off, this apparently causes all sorts of audio problems with receivers.
Really!? Interesting. We have been having audio studder issues on DirecTV. Will have to see what my MV400 and NetVx is set for.

TwittyBird

Post by TwittyBird » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:42 am

SD for me.

cheers SD

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:34 pm

I managed to use one of the Logic Innovations AVC4000-HD encoders where I took the HD output from my FOX Splicer, ran it through a Tandberg IRD back to 720P HD-SDI, inserted school closing ticker, audio processing, station HD bug generator etc., then into the AVC4000-HD back up to 8MB HD. After back to HD, I ran both my ABC main channel HD encoded stream, 5.1 audio channels for both FOX and ABC, and PSIP, ran them both into a Logic Innovations MUX and out to the STL. It was a little tricky finding all the little gotcha's in setting up two HD streams and two 5.1 audio with PSIP plus getting the bandwidth correct, but it worked! 8MB ABC 720P with 5.1 surround (dot 1) and 8MB FOX 720P with 5.1 surround (dot 2).

Not sure if its changed much, but Logic Innovation's documentation is a little sketchy, especially with their MUX. Not that the documentation was wrong, it just took a little more experimentation that I'd hoped.

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:52 pm

eadler wrote:Also, as with most encoders out there for ATSC, make sure that autodetect film mode/repeat field detection is off, this apparently causes all sorts of audio problems with receivers.
Off on ours.

We just acquired a Triveni MT-40 stream analyzer.. and it's telling us we're having LOTS of audio buffer overflows on our HD program. Peaking around 3100 bytes, the Triveni believes this should be 2592 or lower. (I'm having trouble deriving this figure from A/52)

I'm going to get on the horn with Harmonic tomorrow.. this might explain some very intermittent lip sync issues we've been having trouble tracking down.. can't find anything obvious in the encoder configs.

I'm confident it's not a source stream problem. I've got a spare encoder, right now I've got a TSG hooked up to the video input -- and a Dolby DP-569 5.1 encoder with nothing on the input connected to the audio. And it does the same thing.

(I have a bad feeling I'm going to learn Triveni is simply being stricter than Harmonic...)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:50 am

w9wi wrote:
I'm going to get on the horn with Harmonic tomorrow.. this might explain some very intermittent lip sync issues we've been having trouble tracking down.. can't find anything obvious in the encoder configs.

I'm confident it's not a source stream problem. I've got a spare encoder, right now I've got a TSG hooked up to the video input -- and a Dolby DP-569 5.1 encoder with nothing on the input connected to the audio. And it does the same thing.

(I have a bad feeling I'm going to learn Triveni is simply being stricter than Harmonic...)
Our Sencore TS analyzer is that way, and it shows a lot of PTS errors on the output of the Harmonic. Despite the PTS interval on the Harmonic being within the ATSC specs, its still one of those "gotchas".

As far as the lip sync is concerned, are you using AES or Embedded audio? I do not like the Harmonic internal de-embedders. They just don't work very well.
You know you can adjust the audio delay +/- in the encoder to match Lip Sync. We have ours adjusted +260ms I believe to correct the audio delay created by the Dolby Encoder.
If you have a Dolby Encoder, make sure it is also hooked to DARS reference or else you will have all sorts of other weird issues show up "in due time" with it as well.
(We actually had to have one of our Dolby encoders replaced due to an intermittent issue with it, and audio "popping". The replacement unit hasn't had the same issue.)

When you call Harmonic, talk to Joel Wilhite. I will PM you his information. He seems to be one of the only ones who answers the phone there.
If you have a Thales rack, you can also talk to Steve Martin at Thales MM support and pick his brain for that stuff too.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:25 am

NECRAT wrote: As far as the lip sync is concerned, are you using AES or Embedded audio? I do not like the Harmonic internal de-embedders. They just don't work very well.
You know you can adjust the audio delay +/- in the encoder to match Lip Sync. We have ours adjusted +260ms I believe to correct the audio delay created by the Dolby Encoder.
If you have a Dolby Encoder, make sure it is also hooked to DARS reference or else you will have all sorts of other weird issues show up "in due time" with it as well.
(We actually had to have one of our Dolby encoders replaced due to an intermittent issue with it, and audio "popping". The replacement unit hasn't had the same issue.)
AES, as this is a 5.1 channel with external Dolby encoder. Yes, we're aware of the delay setting in the encoder. (IIRC we're using +187ms) What we're looking at is a VERY intermittent issue; 99.9% of the time the sync is fine. Yes, the encoder has DARS reference.
When you call Harmonic, talk to Joel Wilhite. I will PM you his information. He seems to be one of the only ones who answers the phone there.
If you have a Thales rack, you can also talk to Steve Martin at Thales MM support and pick his brain for that stuff too.
[/quote]

Really, I typo'd the original message -- and meant Steve @ Thales. he's been quite helpful for us in the past.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

w4cl

Post by w4cl » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:25 am

Anyone having issues with stream breakup on DirecTV on your station? We have for a while now and I get the usual line, it isn't us, it is you. Of course no other provider is having this issue, but the guy who runs the local station tech just won't hear it. Can't be THEIR stuff. It HAS to be ours. To appease him, I have swapped microwaves, encoders, exciters, DA's, converters and the problem is still there. My R&S ETL tells me all is well.

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:25 am

Ours turned out to be a red herring. Checked the competition -- and 70% of them have the same buffer overflows.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

eadler

Post by eadler » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:30 pm

w9wi wrote:(I have a bad feeling I'm going to learn Triveni is simply being stricter than Harmonic...)
Not sure about the Triveni but I belive our Tek MTM-400 has minimum, maximum, nominal (default), and ATSC standards values listed in the manual. I can check specifics (and tell you what our Tandberg/Ericssons are putting out) if you send me a PM for what you're looking for.
Eric "tonsofpcs" Adler
http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/
Twitter: @eric_adler

w9wi

Re: Video Encoders (MV400/500 & EIA-708 captions)

Post by w9wi » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:22 pm

OK, hating to resurrect an ancient thread but...

Anyone had problems with pop-up captions on a MV-400 or MV-500?
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66