BE asks if 4K is "good enough?"

More channels means more money for the techs, right?
Baylink

BE asks if 4K is "good enough?"

Post by Baylink » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:36 am

Am I really the only person who (after finally having been dragged kicking and screaming into HDTV, admittedly) thinks that 3D is a niche technology that will certainly never go mainstream (for broadcast), and that the niche for 4K or higher (also in broadcast) is so much narrower that broadcasters -- even networks -- don't really have to worry about it?

http://broadcastengineering.com/standar ... -4k-cut-it

PID_Stop

Re: BE asks if 4K is "good enough?"

Post by PID_Stop » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:20 pm

The BE article wrote:"Both broadcasters and viewers are being pressured by CE vendors to embrace 4K in order to sell new displays to everyone who has bought an HDTV, possibly with 3-D support — ongoing obsolescence."
Setting aside the point that this sentence is nearly unreadable, exactly what sort of pressure is an equipment manufacturer able to exert on a broadcaster who is required by law to comply with specific technical standards that don't include 4K? Television stations are still smarting from viewer wrath after the government made millions of perfectly serviceable analog televisions obsolete; why on earth would we want to go there again?

-- Jeff

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:15 pm

CE vendors "pressure" everyone to adopt whatever snake oil they might be pushing this week and then walk away from it the next. Until [whatever it is] is a broadcast standard there isn't any reason for broadcasters to do anything with it.

I STILL see a whole lot of HDTVs connected to NTSC composite feeds and people think it is HD. Anything beyond that is wasted on them. Sorry, but that's just the way the market works.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:10 pm

Deep Thought wrote:Until [whatever it is] is a broadcast standard there isn't any reason for broadcasters to do anything with it.
Exactly my point.

Heck, we still have stations trying to pass off anamorphic standard def as HD by calling it "enhanced widescreen". An ironic term, since this enhancement actually decreases effective horizontal resolution... :roll:

-- Jeff

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:19 am

I say if we're all going be stuck switching modulation and video standards every ten years or so, most recently to ATSC 2.0, 2.5, or whatever.. Let's just go to 8K and get it over with. Japan is already moving in that direction anyway. To them, 4K is so five years ago.

Baylink

Post by Baylink » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:45 am

Well, Jeff, see, I agree with your POV on that... but we may be alone, as evidence by this thread, right here on this forum:

http://www.broadcastengineering.info/vi ... =27&t=3024

[ On re-reading the whole thread, I see you were on my side. Nevermind. :-) ]