PTZ camera and 3X3 videowall

More channels means more money for the techs, right?
jasonhong

PTZ camera and 3X3 videowall

Post by jasonhong » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:26 pm

I connected Sony BRC-H900 PTZ Camera to Black Magic mini converter (from SDI to HDMI) and HDMI output to RGB Mediawall 2900 (which is video wall controller) HDMI input, and this signal from video wall controller goes to my 3X3 video wall. But the color of picture from camera looks reddish. So I connected HDMI signal from Black Magic converter directly to my computer monitor, and it shows no problem. The video wall controller is connected to 3 different servers, and all the pictures from different sources works fine, but only the picture from camera has a problem. I think Black Magic converter doesn't convert 3G/SDI signal to HDMI properly, either MW2900 doesn't compensate that color space. If this is the problem, anyone knows the device that I can replace black magic mini converter which convert Sony CAMERA's SDI signal to HDMI properly? Or if it is not the issues from video controller or converter, you know any solution? Thanks!
Jason

rockmanac

Re: PTZ camera and 3X3 videowall

Post by rockmanac » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:38 pm

jasonhong wrote:I connected Sony BRC-H900 PTZ Camera to Black Magic mini converter (from SDI to HDMI) and HDMI output to RGB Mediawall 2900 (which is video wall controller) HDMI input, and this signal from video wall controller goes to my 3X3 video wall. But the color of picture from camera looks reddish. So I connected HDMI signal from Black Magic converter directly to my computer monitor, and it shows no problem. The video wall controller is connected to 3 different servers, and all the pictures from different sources works fine, but only the picture from camera has a problem. I think Black Magic converter doesn't convert 3G/SDI signal to HDMI properly, either MW2900 doesn't compensate that color space. If this is the problem, anyone knows the device that I can replace black magic mini converter which convert Sony CAMERA's SDI signal to HDMI properly? Or if it is not the issues from video controller or converter, you know any solution? Thanks!
Jason
We use SDI->HDMI converters made by AJA. I don't have a model number to give you though, lol, as I'm not at the station. Other than having to reset the boxes occasionally (the good old turn it off/on) they're amazing.
Addie Chernow
Director, WCCO-TV
WWW - @chernowa - KC9JHY

Formerly:
OverDrive Operator, WKOW-TV
Director/Technical Director, WKOW-TV
Director/MCO, WREX-TV

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:47 pm

The AJA Hi-5 will convert , but before you go buying a new converter, have you checked the output of the Black Magic on another device?

The AJA HI-5 works well, I installed about a half dozen at WPRI.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

jasonhong

Post by jasonhong » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:51 am

Thanks guys!
I'll let you know it is working or not.
best,

jason

K9EZ
Site Admin

Post by K9EZ » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:10 pm

jasonhong wrote:I connected Sony BRC-H900 PTZ Camera to Black Magic mini converter (from SDI to HDMI) and HDMI output to RGB Mediawall 2900 (which is video wall controller) HDMI input, and this signal from video wall controller goes to my 3X3 video wall. But the color of picture from camera looks reddish. So I connected HDMI signal from Black Magic converter directly to my computer monitor, and it shows no problem. The video wall controller is connected to 3 different servers, and all the pictures from different sources works fine, but only the picture from camera has a problem. I think Black Magic converter doesn't convert 3G/SDI signal to HDMI properly, either MW2900 doesn't compensate that color space. If this is the problem, anyone knows the device that I can replace black magic mini converter which convert Sony CAMERA's SDI signal to HDMI properly? Or if it is not the issues from video controller or converter, you know any solution? Thanks!
Jason

I have had issue that some converters didnt output true "broadcast" specs, and some boxes would not accept the output of the converter.

The Aja is a good suggestion, and though I personally have not used it, you may want to look at the Matrox

http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mc100/
Kent Winrich
Owner, Consultant, Floor Sweeper and Official Thread Hijacker
Broadcast and Technology Blog http://sceotech.com/blog/
Raleigh, NC