SAP Text to Speech Requirement in 2015

More channels means more money for the techs, right?
KE0MI

SAP Text to Speech Requirement in 2015

Post by KE0MI » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:02 pm

Looking for suggestions and clarification on how you plan on complying with Part 47 Para 79.2 (b) (2) (ii).

(ii) Emergency information that is provided visually during programming that is neither a regularly scheduled newscast, nor a newscast that interrupts regular programming, must be accompanied with an aural tone, and beginning May 26, 2015, must be made accessible to individuals who are blind or visually impaired through the use of a secondary audio stream to provide the emergency information aurally. Emergency information provided aurally on the secondary audio stream must be preceded by an aural tone and must be conveyed in full at least twice. Emergency information provided through use of text-to-speech (“TTS”) technologies must be intelligible and must use the correct pronunciation of relevant information to allow consumers to learn about and respond to the emergency, including, but not limited to, the names of shelters, school districts, streets, districts, and proper names noted in the visual information. The video programming distributor or video programming provider that creates the visual emergency information content and adds it to the programming stream is responsible for providing an aural representation of the information on a secondary audio stream, accompanied by an aural tone. Video programming distributors are responsible for ensuring that the aural representation of the emergency information (including the accompanying aural tone) gets passed through to consumers.

Looks like in my operation, we are talking a weather alert system, a school closings system and EAS as it generates a crawl with "emergency information". Do EAS tests count? What about if multiple languages are going to be required?

Let the flow of creative solutions begin!

Baylink

Re: SAP Text to Speech Requirement in 2015

Post by Baylink » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:56 am

By "through the use of a second audio stream" do they mean "you must interrupt your SAP audio with this TTS"? Cause it's pretty unclear otherwise, unless there's regulatory context I'm unfamiliar with.

Shane

Re: SAP Text to Speech Requirement in 2015

Post by Shane » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:46 pm

An exemption for any station's individual channel which produces less than $3MM annual revenue from complying with parts of this. That may be sec. 79.1 only, though.

I would have thought such regulations as in 79.2 would be under Part 11 rules. Part 11 applies to broadcast stations. This Part 79 appears to also apply to other types of video distributors (cable, satellite, etc.). So does Netflix have to abide by this? What does the "aural tone" consist of?

My bailiwick is radio - this appears to be focused on television and video distribution so until today I was unfamiliar with Part 79.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---