Harris NetVx Config Question

More channels means more money for the techs, right?
w4cl

Harris NetVx Config Question

Post by w4cl » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:48 am

I got a NetVx that I am about to demote to emergency doomsday service and moved to the transmitter. It currently has 2 encode modules, one HD and on SD and I want to configure it where the SD encoder is muxed as two virtuals. We are adding a second SD channel and getting a new Selineo to replace the NetVx, but would like to have both SD channels represented on the doomsday box. The idea is if this box is put on the on air, it will be due to the studio being knocked out and there would be no regular programming anyway and all three channels would care the same programming (something produced there at the transmitter more than likely).

Anyone got any idea how to config that?

PID_Stop

Re: Harris NetVx Config Question

Post by PID_Stop » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:42 am

Your question doesn't say so, but I assume that your frame also has a TMX multiplexer card. You're already using the mux card to incorporate the HD and SD encoder cards -- plus PSIP -- to yield the complete transport stream. There are two probable ways it is currently configured:

1) Map the encoders and PSIP to an internal multiplexer, then map the multiplexer's output to the TS transmitters (that is, the output connectors), or

2) Map the encoders and PSIP to the TS transmitters themselves -- in effect, have the output do the multiplexing.

If you look closely at the setup in Vidiem, you will see on or the other. In either case, find where the multiplexing is actually happening and open the properties window. If you look in the menu tree for "VC Control" you will find a "New" button that lets you create a new program; click it to add another program stream to the list. Go through and set its parameters appropriately and okay it so that it appears as another apparent multiplexer input, then drag another stream from your SD encoder down to this new multiplexer input. This will feed the same encoder output to both its original stream and to the new one you just created.

Don't forget that these changes don't actually take place until you write them back to the frame.

-- Jeff

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:42 am

Wouldn't he also need to set the NetVX to all static PSIP? Otherwise wouldn't they need to have a dedicated external PSIP encoder at the TX site?

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:41 pm

Kelly wrote:Wouldn't he also need to set the NetVX to all static PSIP? Otherwise wouldn't they need to have a dedicated external PSIP encoder at the TX site?
That's a great question, and as they say, it depends. If the backup NetVX has to completely stand alone, then yes, it should be set to create static PSIP. On the other hand, if the transmitter site has an IP link back to the studio, and if the PSIP generator can carousel to two different destinations, then there's no particular reason the backup NetVX can't spool out the same data. The virtue to keeping the same PSIP everywhere is that a switchover to the backup is less likely to confuse viewers' sets (or cable / satellite provider equipment).

-- Jeff

w4cl

Post by w4cl » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:12 pm

This NetVx will be totally stand alone at the transmitter so there will need to be static PSIP. The assumption is that if this is needed, there will be no studio link to worry about. I am hesitant to do anything to it at this point. The Selineo that is to replace it hasn't arrived yet, so when it is on line and the NetVx is off line, I will be able to work with it then.

Thanks for the help.