RX8200 with IP input

More channels means more money for the techs, right?
PID_Stop

Re: RX8200 with IP input

Post by PID_Stop » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:35 am

Yeah, it's definitely not a trivial process to configure an IP link like this. You have to make sure that your settings are right on both the encoder and the decoder, and that your network is in fact passing the traffic.

One of the less obvious details is that you not only need to have the appropriate IP addresses configured... you also have to set the IP port numbers. If you're using forward error correction (which you generally should), your traffic will need two or three ports, and they're always spaced in twos: for instance, if you set your encoder to send the transport stream on port 5550, the FEC will also want to use ports 5552 and 5554. Some encoders and some decoders let you manually set each port, and it's easy to assume that they just go in 1-2-3 sequence... which won't work.

Just as a general thought, get the encoder set first, and make sure it has valid video -- some encoders stop the stream if they don't have a good input, and you can go nuts trying to figure out why the decoder isn't working, when there's nothing for it to decode. The encoder should give you a real time idea of how much outgoing traffic it's producing. Then, focus on the IP settings on the receiver next. Once you get them right, you will see an incoming data rate that corresponds to what the encoder is sending out. Finally, then, look at the receiver's decoder settings: make sure the source is IP and not ASI or RF, and see if any services show up. If the encoder isn't set up quite properly, there might not be all of the tables present to define services... but if you know the PIDs for the video and audio, you can set the decoder manually to look for them. That's not how you normally want to run, but an approach like that will help you gnaw away at the problem and gradually get all of the settings to where they ought to be.

Another approach is to take an ASI feed from the encoder and run that directly into the 8200, in order to make sure that the encoder itself (aside from the IP encapsulator) is set up properly, and that the 8200 (aside from the IP receiver) sees the service(s) and is capable of decoding them. I wasted a lot of time several years ago trying to figure out why a Tandberg IRD wasn't working with an Immedia MV-EN460 encoder... only to realize that the IRD wasn't licensed to decode MPEG-4 video. So making sure the decoder itself is compatible with the encoder might be a good start, even before tackling the IP aspects.

-- Jeff

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:02 am

Archangelos wrote: The only information that I was given is:
IP address
Port number
V-Lan number

The IP address is 240.x.x.x. Searching in the Internet I read (in multiple pages) that there is a specific range of IP addresses. The address he gave me (240.x.x.x) seems to be out of the nominal range. Should I tell him to change the IP?
The range 240.x.x.x through 255.x.x.x was reserved at one point for future use, but it's entirely possible that given the explosion of IP devices, the future is now (!). Assuming that you are connected through the internet and not across a private network, the address would have been assigned by the other site's provider, so they can't change the address. If you can ping the address from your end, that will tell you that your IRD should be able to see their encoder.

I'd still try taking your decoder to their location and checking that it is capable of handling the specific type of video and audio encoding that's being sent (MPEG-2 versus MPEG-4 video, MPEG-1 (PCM) versus Dolby AC3 versus Dolby E audio).

-- Jeff

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:07 am

Oh, one other thought: make sure that at your end, the network will continuously support the data rate the encoder is sending. If their transport stream is sending 15 megabits per second, your decoder won't lock if it's plugged into a 10-base-T port. Things to check include making sure that all of your devices are set to auto-negotiate speed and duplex (ironically, forcing full duplex screws up some switches), and that devices like packet shapers and routers are set to pass the port being used, and will give the video traffic top priority.

-- Jeff

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:12 am

Just got up to head to the control room, and had yet another thought: take your decoder to the encoding site to do the direct ASI-to-ASI check. Assuming that the decoder is happy with that, plug it into their network and work with them until it sees the stream over IP and locks to it. Then, all you have to do is take the decoder back to your facility and change its local IP address to be consistent with your own network. Assuming that your network has the necessary bandwidth and your video port has sufficiently high priority to not be choked out by other people surfing the web, it should lock right up.

Oh, and one last point: remember that the 8200 actually needs two physical ethernet connections: one handles the video traffic, the other is the management port through which you see the web configuration. The ports need different IP addresses.

-- Jeff

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sat May 07, 2016 4:32 am

I would like to share mine queries.

I have an rx8200 with ip input for income stream. I just think that my rx can decode mpeg2 stream in comparison with dvbs and asi that it can decode mpeg4 but i am not so sure.
The only stream source that i have is a ns3 receiver ( novelsat ns2000) that it can give me 2 asi output and 2 GBethernet output.
The first thing is that i can`t see any configuration on ns3 for the stream output except enable or disabled. So i don`t know the ip of the stream output.
The second one is the way that i have to configure my rx8200.
Is it critical to have the same ip of your network to set up the stream as the connection is through a straigth cable from port to port without switch or router between them?
Both of them are on site.

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Mon May 09, 2016 1:30 pm

Also make sure your 8200 is licensed for the type of video you want to receive. The 8200's are all license based, and if you're trying to do something that is not enabled, it will not work.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Mon May 09, 2016 2:54 pm

Mike is exactly right about Tandberg / Ericsson licenses. Here are a couple of other thoughts that might help you get going.
Nicolas wrote:The only stream source that i have is a ns3 receiver ( novelsat ns2000) that it can give me 2 asi output and 2 GBethernet output.

Before you try to use the IP connection, try connecting the ASI output from your NS3 receiver directly to the RX8200, and set the RX8200's input to ASI. This is a very easy first test precisely because ASI runs point-to-point (like traditional audio or video) and doesn't depend on a lot of setup to make it work. If you have the necessary licensing for the kind of program you need to stream (HD or SD, MPEG-2 or MPEG-4, PCM audio or Dolby AC3, for example), the RX8200 will show you the services that are available, and you should be able to select and decode the one you want. If you can get good audio and video out of the RX8200 that way, then you can go on to the next step and figure out how to use the IP streaming.
The first thing is that i can`t see any configuration on ns3 for the stream output except enable or disabled. So i don`t know the ip of the stream output. The second one is the way that i have to configure my rx8200. Is it critical to have the same ip of your network to set up the stream as the connection is through a straigth cable from port to port without switch or router between them? Both of them are on site.
In general, you will need to configure local IP settings on both the NS3 and the RX8200: each needs a unique IP address, and you also need to set the subnet mask and default gateway.

On the receiving end -- the RX8200 in your case -- you will need to set the Unicast / Multicast IP address to match the local setting from your NS3; you will probably also need to set port assignments. Choose even numbers for the ports; that's essential if your source is generating forward error correction. A typical unicast / multicast port might be 14000; that would make the column FEC port 14002, and the row FEC port 14004.

At the sending end -- the NS3, you will have a number of settings to enter. Set the destination IP address to match the RX8200's local setting, and enter the same port numbers (14000, 14002, and 14004 in my example). Generally speaking, you will want to use RTP protocol if that's available, and FEC is a good idea if the feed is important and the network link is glitchy -- for instance, a public circuit or a wireless link. On most decoders, if you have the IP settings right, you will start seeing traffic coming in.

One thing to bear in mind is that your IP stream will be competing with all other traffic on your network. If you are running between sites with a limited bitrate circuit, you will probably need to set up some sort of packet shaping system to prioritize different kinds of traffic, so that people surfing the web don't choke out your video stream. At my facility, we have a 1,000Mb/s circuit coming into the building, and we send IP streams between here and our other stations, most of which have 200Mb/s circuits. Sounds pretty good, but without packet shaping, the video streams would be taking regular hits,

Good luck on your project!

-- Jeff

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Mon May 09, 2016 5:52 pm

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately i have this.... RX8XXX/SWO/IP/IN - Disabled so.... no licence.... for RX8200

The ASI mode is working and it is a routine for me.

Also i can't manage the GBethernet of NS3. Maybe it doesn't have licence also.... :(

i will try with an ATEME...