Tandberg RX-1290 shows service but no streams?

More channels means more money for the techs, right?
w9wi

Tandberg RX-1290 shows service but no streams?

Post by w9wi » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:32 pm

I've got a Tandberg RX-1290 which has stopped outputting video.

I'm still showing a lock, and the proper service PIDs are loading by default for PCR and video. (although not audio?)

However, on the Service screen (web interface) where I'd expect to see the video parameters (format, frame rate, etc.) I'm seeing blanks -- and the IRD is outputting black, probably from the frame sync.

Same service decodes fine on a RX-8200.

We have powercycled the 1290. We've inspected every menu I can think of, both through the front panel and the web interface. Obviously some setting is wrong but which one?
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

NECRAT
Site Admin

Re: Tandberg RX-1290 shows service but no streams?

Post by NECRAT » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:40 pm

w9wi wrote:I've got a Tandberg RX-1290 which has stopped outputting video.

I'm still showing a lock, and the proper service PIDs are loading by default for PCR and video. (although not audio?)

However, on the Service screen (web interface) where I'd expect to see the video parameters (format, frame rate, etc.) I'm seeing blanks -- and the IRD is outputting black, probably from the frame sync.

Same service decodes fine on a RX-8200.

We have powercycled the 1290. We've inspected every menu I can think of, both through the front panel and the web interface. Obviously some setting is wrong but which one?
It actually sounds more like it's gone stupid. If you select the service, but get nothing, it is possible the decoder board has gone south.
Try rebooting it into the other memory bank, which should give the whole unit a new birthday, and see if that fixes it.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

w4cl

Post by w4cl » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:44 pm

1. Do you have the DVB-S2 option?
2. Is the video you want in DVB-S2?

If you do not have the S2 option and the video is S2, you will not get any video out since S2 is MPEG4 and DVB is MPEG2.

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:10 pm

Yes and yes. It's a DVB-S2 feed which we've been successfully downlinking for years, and there have been no changes in the uplink.

Between the time I posted and the time Mike replied I spoke with the tech folks at NBC & they concur the receiver has likely suffered a hardware failure. I asked our guys to try the other memory bank (I'm on vacation today) but I think they decided to just borrow the C-band IRD until the replacement arrives.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

grich

Post by grich » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:58 pm

Yep, sounds like a hardware failure. We've had a couple of the NBC-owned 1290's lose fans and overheat. We are now checking the chassis temp display every once in a while. I'm pretty sure NBC isn't monitoring them...we've had total loss of monitoring data from the NBC Miranda frames since March, and they've ignored all those alarms very well... :(

We didn't mess with ours...we just waited for USSI to send us a replacement too.

grich

Post by grich » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:02 pm

Doesn't sound like this applies here, but another nice Tandberg gotcha is a missing feature license. One of our news 1290's does not have a 4:2:2 decode license. About 99.9 percent of our news feeds are 4:2:0, but every now and again some network truck throws 4:2:2 at us. Usually the truck op agrees to change his encoder so we can receive.

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:14 pm

Yeah, I spent a fair bit of time on the phone when I bought the RX8200s making sure they had everything I was going to need... The list of licensed features goes on forever.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:54 pm

One of the many reasons I've switched over from the Tandbergs/Ericcsons to Sencores.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"