HD Portable pics

IBOC, HD Radio, FM eXtra, DRM, Importers, Exporters, Exgines...digital radio spoken here!
ajstriker

Re: HD Portable pics

Post by ajstriker » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:00 am

I don't see the SD card slot anymore, at least on this one...kind of a bummer...
There's always room for a bigger amplifier!

Trip

Post by Trip » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:02 am

I'm tempted to buy one, but am I reading correctly that it does not tune AM?

Also, it's apparently available at all the stores in other cities within the search radius, just not the one here in Roanoke. Else I'd go to look at it ASAP.

- Trip
RabbitEars.Info

Opinions stated here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer or anyone else.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:33 am

No AM. Yet another slap in the face of the operators who duly paid the iBiquity extortion money.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

Sam Buca

Post by Sam Buca » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:25 pm

Looks like it's available at all my local stores. I'm stopping in tomorrow to have a look.

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:44 am

Just ordered mine online. I'll pick it up during my lunch break. I figure at $50, it's a nice inexpensive tool to carry in my bag to spot check my HD and HD-2's when I don't have an HD radio nearby.
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:37 pm

OK...first impression:

It's a very nice HD Radio. If you're into HD Radio, it's absolutely a must-buy at $50. Rechargeable battery, gorgeous display, and good FM performance.

Now, having said that, consumers won't bite. I think a better plan would have been to add some flash memory and allow MP3 playback. Even if it jacked the price up $10-$15 bucks, I'd think it would be a much better seller and competitive with radios like the Sirius Stiletto and XM XMp3 radios.

I'm sure the reason they didn't add AM was due to the display and the rechargeable battery. I'm betting the noise generated by the display and the charger just destroys AM.

At any rate, a very good Gen 1 device, and it's at least getting people to talk about HD Radio and it's good and bad points.
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

K9EZ
Site Admin

Post by K9EZ » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:49 pm

I am sitting here in my living room listening to an HD2 (WMAG) 65+ miles away. I was in a metal warehouse south of Fayetteville and picked up WRAL HD in Raleigh, about 55+ miles away.
Kent Winrich
Owner, Consultant, Floor Sweeper and Official Thread Hijacker
Broadcast and Technology Blog http://sceotech.com/blog/
Raleigh, NC

MHVoris

Post by MHVoris » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:46 pm

Just picked up one a couple weeks ago. Quite impressive for a small package. I really like the fact that one can monitor RBDS on the analog stations. I've been hunting for an automotive radio with RBDS or RDS and no one seems to have them. The HD units don't have RDS on the analog stations, I am currently using RBDS on our station now. For $50 bucks not a bad rig!
Mark H Voris CBRE
Chief Engineer
Spirit Catholic Radio - KVSS
Omaha, Nebraska

eadler

Post by eadler » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:35 pm

Got mine on Saturday, in the New York market. Listened to some HD there, got home on Sunday. Heard our NV10 chirping on Monday (through dummy load), got it on the air on Tuesday. Got the importer working today. HD Radio, full speed ahead!
Eric "tonsofpcs" Adler
http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/
Twitter: @eric_adler

K9EZ
Site Admin

Post by K9EZ » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:52 pm

eadler wrote:Got mine on Saturday, in the New York market. Listened to some HD there, got home on Sunday. Heard our NV10 chirping on Monday (through dummy load), got it on the air on Tuesday. Got the importer working today. HD Radio, full speed ahead!
WO HOOO.. now the fun begins........
Kent Winrich
Owner, Consultant, Floor Sweeper and Official Thread Hijacker
Broadcast and Technology Blog http://sceotech.com/blog/
Raleigh, NC

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:24 pm

Well I have a mixed review on it.
I picked up mine today.

The HD side is very well, and the tuner is very sensitive. But the front end overload rejection is garbage in it. Worse than my Sangean VX200 tuner.

On 88.1, which is the frequency used by a local college broadcaster, if i turn the right way, I can hear about 4 - 5 FM stations mixing together.
If i turn, then 88.1 goes back to WELH.

With that said, I can listen to 106.3A, a class A who's transmitter is about 20 miles away, without it dropping. WGBH-FM's HD stays locked in nice
and strong throughout. When it is finished I am going to do the walk around the block test.

I need to try it in a more RF quiet area, however as Doc said, without the added features and if the front end rejection is this bad, this isn't a WIN.
(And figure the majority of population centers are broadcast RF hell baskets.)
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"