TWO watts of HD Radio...

IBOC, HD Radio, FM eXtra, DRM, Importers, Exporters, Exgines...digital radio spoken here!
KI4JQM
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:36 am
Contact:

Re: TWO watts of HD Radio...

Post by KI4JQM » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:10 pm

WZTK has been protecting the Albemarle station at 100.9. Can't remember calls. They are or have moved closer to Charlotte. We are getting a new stick about 250' higher just across the mtn from our present qth.

User avatar
K9EZ
Site Admin
Posts: 2986
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:16 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: TWO watts of HD Radio...

Post by K9EZ » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:59 pm

KI4JQM wrote:WZTK has been protecting the Albemarle station at 100.9. Can't remember calls. They are or have moved closer to Charlotte. We are getting a new stick about 250' higher just across the mtn from our present qth.

Huh the app says you are going lower. Wish you guys would go HD (keeping in the topic LOL) and run that jazz 24/7.

You are so close.. we should meet up for an eyeball qso.
Kent Winrich
Owner, Consultant, Floor Sweeper and Official Thread Hijacker
Broadcast and Technology Blog http://sceotech.com/blog/
Raleigh, NC

KI4JQM
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:36 am
Contact:

Re: TWO watts of HD Radio...

Post by KI4JQM » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:51 pm

Kent, I haven't seen the official app, but they have talked about a higher stick for as long as I can remember.I , too, hope we get on the HD bandwagon eventually. I'd like to get up w/you sometime, as well.


Pat

User avatar
RFWarrior
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:48 am
Location: Halifax, NS, Canada
Contact:

Re: TWO watts of HD Radio...

Post by RFWarrior » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:36 am

This looks like a good place for a "lowest power running HD" comparison (sort of a 'mine is smaller than yours' contest :P )

I've got a customer with a full time independent station in WA that is running an analog ERP of 90W - for a whopping 0.9W of HD power - and he claims the HD gets out about 20 miles. Have another doing double duty as a translator, running hybrid mode at a whole 7W of TPO into a single bay stick, so what, about 3W of analog and 0.03W of HD? Not sure how that one covers though :D

Anybody else got any ultra little stations doing HD?

Jeff
Jeff Welton
Regional Sales Manager - Central U.S.
Nautel
Toll free: 1-877-662-8835, ext. 5127
Halifax Number: 902-823-5127
Quincy Number: 217-919-0189
Cell: 902-489-1635
jwelton@nautel.com

User avatar
K9EZ
Site Admin
Posts: 2986
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:16 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: TWO watts of HD Radio...

Post by K9EZ » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:20 am

RFWarrior wrote:This looks like a good place for a "lowest power running HD" comparison (sort of a 'mine is smaller than yours' contest :P )

I've got a customer with a full time independent station in WA that is running an analog ERP of 90W - for a whopping 0.9W of HD power - and he claims the HD gets out about 20 miles. Have another doing double duty as a translator, running hybrid mode at a whole 7W of TPO into a single bay stick, so what, about 3W of analog and 0.03W of HD? Not sure how that one covers though :D

Anybody else got any ultra little stations doing HD?

Jeff

OK Jeff.. you win :lol:

Would love to know what stations these are.

What are they using for transmitters at that low of power? Lots of padding?
Kent Winrich
Owner, Consultant, Floor Sweeper and Official Thread Hijacker
Broadcast and Technology Blog http://sceotech.com/blog/
Raleigh, NC

User avatar
ajstriker
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Watertown
Contact:

Re: TWO watts of HD Radio...

Post by ajstriker » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:12 am

K9EZ wrote:
RFWarrior wrote:This looks like a good place for a "lowest power running HD" comparison (sort of a 'mine is smaller than yours' contest :P )

I've got a customer with a full time independent station in WA that is running an analog ERP of 90W - for a whopping 0.9W of HD power - and he claims the HD gets out about 20 miles. Have another doing double duty as a translator, running hybrid mode at a whole 7W of TPO into a single bay stick, so what, about 3W of analog and 0.03W of HD? Not sure how that one covers though :D

Anybody else got any ultra little stations doing HD?

Jeff

OK Jeff.. you win :lol:

Would love to know what stations these are.

What are they using for transmitters at that low of power? Lots of padding?
Heathkit... :lol:
There's always room for a bigger amplifier!

User avatar
RGORJANCE
Posts: 1375
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:48 am
Location: RACINE, WI

Re: TWO watts of HD Radio...

Post by RGORJANCE » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:10 pm

Eico kits, maybe? Or the Galaxy line from Allied? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fossil

boiseengineer(old)

Re: TWO watts of HD Radio...

Post by boiseengineer(old) » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:05 pm

DXer's in the US have heard several Nicaraguan FM this year. Plus, Georgia and quite a few NE US & E. Canadian FMs made it to Ireland on triple-hop E's in July.

User avatar
RFWarrior
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:48 am
Location: Halifax, NS, Canada
Contact:

Re: TWO watts of HD Radio...

Post by RFWarrior » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:33 am

K9EZ wrote:Would love to know what stations these are.

What are they using for transmitters at that low of power? Lots of padding?
The 90W one is KZAZ, Bellingham, WA (Washington State University), running a Nautel V1 with M50 exciter - with all kinds of headroom! At 90W into the pipe, the antenna could fall off the tower and the transmitter should still be able to make licensed power :shock:

The 7W station is a translator in Breckenridge, Colorado, with the call sign KZ09ED - it's fed from KUVO in Denver in a unique system. The HD is generated in Denver, then fed through an IP over satellite uplink with local (in Denver) downlink for error correction through our NRHD system. Then the signal is downlinked in Breckenridge, the HD stream fed into an M50 exciter where the HD1 is extracted and fed into an APT Worldcast Horizon-44.1. The recovered audio is then processed for peak limiting and fed back into the exciter as the analog feed. With a harmonic filter on the output, the M50 exciter is the whole transmitter system.... This is a prototype system running WildBlue IP satellite and it's working like a charm. I wouldn't have thought 70mW of HD would get out that well, but the station GM and PD were in Breckenridge a few weeks ago and sent a very favourable report back. I'll go with real world results over my mathematical conjecture any day :lol:

Best,

Jeff
Jeff Welton
Regional Sales Manager - Central U.S.
Nautel
Toll free: 1-877-662-8835, ext. 5127
Halifax Number: 902-823-5127
Quincy Number: 217-919-0189
Cell: 902-489-1635
jwelton@nautel.com

User avatar
K9EZ
Site Admin
Posts: 2986
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:16 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: TWO watts of HD Radio...

Post by K9EZ » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:24 pm

RFWarrior wrote:
K9EZ wrote:Would love to know what stations these are.

What are they using for transmitters at that low of power? Lots of padding?
The 90W one is KZAZ, Bellingham, WA (Washington State University), running a Nautel V1 with M50 exciter - with all kinds of headroom! At 90W into the pipe, the antenna could fall off the tower and the transmitter should still be able to make licensed power :shock:

The 7W station is a translator in Breckenridge, Colorado, with the call sign KZ09ED - it's fed from KUVO in Denver in a unique system. The HD is generated in Denver, then fed through an IP over satellite uplink with local (in Denver) downlink for error correction through our NRHD system. Then the signal is downlinked in Breckenridge, the HD stream fed into an M50 exciter where the HD1 is extracted and fed into an APT Worldcast Horizon-44.1. The recovered audio is then processed for peak limiting and fed back into the exciter as the analog feed. With a harmonic filter on the output, the M50 exciter is the whole transmitter system.... This is a prototype system running WildBlue IP satellite and it's working like a charm. I wouldn't have thought 70mW of HD would get out that well, but the station GM and PD were in Breckenridge a few weeks ago and sent a very favourable report back. I'll go with real world results over my mathematical conjecture any day :lol:

Best,

Jeff

Darn it I was in Bellingham about a month ago. What did I listen to? The stupid all traffic all the time station out of Vancouver. LOL

These little NPR stations running HD are rather intriguing.
Kent Winrich
Owner, Consultant, Floor Sweeper and Official Thread Hijacker
Broadcast and Technology Blog http://sceotech.com/blog/
Raleigh, NC

Post Reply