TWO watts of HD Radio...

IBOC, HD Radio, FM eXtra, DRM, Importers, Exporters, Exgines...digital radio spoken here!
K9EZ
Site Admin

TWO watts of HD Radio...

Post by K9EZ » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:12 pm

I am in the mountains of NC. Franklin, NC to be exact.

I am listening (on my Insignia portable HD radio) to WFQS-FM. It is running 255 watts, which...if my calculations are correct... 2.55 watts of HD.

http://www.recnet.com/cdbs/fmq.php?facid=71880&jaws=0

Heh a lot of FMs here are under 1kW. There is an FM up the road that runs a whopping 460 watts with 2.5 kW of TPO to a single bay at 26m. What are they running RG8? And it is easy listening. Remember those?
Kent Winrich
Owner, Consultant, Floor Sweeper and Official Thread Hijacker
Broadcast and Technology Blog http://sceotech.com/blog/
Raleigh, NC

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Re: TWO watts of HD Radio...

Post by BroadcastDoc » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:25 pm

Impressive. I can't imagine that the building penetration is all that great, however!
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

awsherrill

Post by awsherrill » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:25 pm

I had a mountain-top site once (about 9000 feet AMSL) that was a C2. The ERP was something like 440 watts, with a single-bay Shively directional antenna.

TPO out of the transmitter was 880 watts. The transmission line was half-inch foam.

I guess the HD power for that one would have been ridiculous too, but I doubt they ever went that route.

We have a couple newly-bought stations out in western NC (Boone) which are ganged up on a short wooden pole on top of a mountain, with low ERPs way up high. Again, no HD yet but the powers would be laughable.

K9EZ
Site Admin

Post by K9EZ » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:30 am

BroadcastDoc wrote:Impressive. I can't imagine that the building penetration is all that great, however!
I am in a building with a metal roof and aluminum siding.
Kent Winrich
Raleigh, NC

KI4JQM

Post by KI4JQM » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:47 pm

Hey Kent, I was up just above Franklin a couple of weeks ago. About 4000' on Cowee Bald. Didn't have an HD radio, but the analog was awesome, especially to the south out of Ga.

K9EZ
Site Admin

Post by K9EZ » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:44 pm

KI4JQM wrote:Hey Kent, I was up just above Franklin a couple of weeks ago. About 4000' on Cowee Bald. Didn't have an HD radio, but the analog was awesome, especially to the south out of Ga.

I was out to Wayah Bald... 5400', today. EVERY FM channel was filled and many bleeding over. Atlanta was booming in. I am hoping to get back up there to get to the FM/TV/translator hill that is there. I didnt fire up the HD radio, but if I get up there tomorrow I will try it out.

It was interesting to listen to 106.9, as WMIT, on Black Mountain - just up the road, is there. But it was like a grave yard AM channel. Just loaded with different stations. The minute I stated to head down WMIT boomed in.

If I had a small FM yagi and a decent receiver, I cannot begin to imagine how far I could DX.
Kent Winrich
Raleigh, NC

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:55 pm

K9EZ wrote:
BroadcastDoc wrote:Impressive. I can't imagine that the building penetration is all that great, however!
I am in a building with a metal roof and aluminum siding.
Pretty impressive!
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.

rrrprod

Post by rrrprod » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:38 pm

If I had a small FM yagi and a decent receiver, I cannot begin to imagine how far I could DX.

I had a ten element FM yagi back a number of years ago with a 20' mast. Myself and a friend went up do "Doc's" bluff in Baraboo. We were probably down a few miles from the flame throwing 94.9. (This was back when they still had the old tower before it fell over) The receiver had pretty good selectivity and rejection. I could pull several of the Chicago FM's in, I seem to recall 99.7 from Ironwood, Mi. (which recently sold) and a few FM's from Iowa. FM from Milwaukee was like shooting fish in a barrel. More recent here this past week at the bench I caught an FM from Portland OR, and a few FM's from South West Texas, and Kansas. I guess all the heat out west is giving us some good tropo this summer. :D
King Gain Rider

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:08 pm

Yeah, I can actually monitor my Milwaukee FM's from Baraboo using my GoldenEagle monitor!

K9EZ
Site Admin

Post by K9EZ » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:38 pm

rrrprod wrote:

I had a ten element FM yagi back a number of years ago with a 20' mast. Myself and a friend went up do "Doc's" bluff in Baraboo. We were probably down a few miles from the flame throwing 94.9. (This was back when they still had the old tower before it fell over) The receiver had pretty good selectivity and rejection. I could pull several of the Chicago FM's in, I seem to recall 99.7 from Ironwood, Mi. (which recently sold) and a few FM's from Iowa. FM from Milwaukee was like shooting fish in a barrel. More recent here this past week at the bench I caught an FM from Portland OR, and a few FM's from South West Texas, and Kansas. I guess all the heat out west is giving us some good tropo this summer. :D

Heh.. I have a 7 element FM yagi that is jsut ITCHING to get to one of the mountains here. 8)

Tropo here in NC is killer in the morning. Nothing like a bunch of C0s killing each other.
Kent Winrich
Raleigh, NC

KI4JQM

Post by KI4JQM » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:03 am

Hey Kent, regarding tropo in NC, I know what you mean. I'm in Burlington, and listen to WCPE at night into the morning. That poor station gets trounced most every morning this time of year by other stations. I love dx'ing fm though. WZTK, where I work was making it up into the mid Atlantic a few weeks ago.

K9EZ
Site Admin

Post by K9EZ » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:15 am

KI4JQM wrote:Hey Kent, regarding tropo in NC, I know what you mean. I'm in Burlington, and listen to WCPE at night into the morning. That poor station gets trounced most every morning this time of year by other stations. I love dx'ing fm though. WZTK, where I work was making it up into the mid Atlantic a few weeks ago.

Heh and I used to work at 101.1 WQZL and often hear them popping through on this side of the state kind of beating up WZTK. One time when we lost power at the site, WZTK was booming in in New Bern. I think I may have to request a transmitter tour. :D Are you guys moving to a different tower? I see an application in. I didnt realize you were directional.... and TOWARDS WQZL. Who are you protecting?

Like the station (though I cannot stomach the morning guys). And like the jazz weekends too. On the weekends it is on you (if I dont have HD) or WMAG HD2.

This morning the tropo was incredible. WKRR was GONE, and almost every channel had multiple stations. I could not pick out any specific stations due to the swapping.

I wonder what station is trouncing WCPE.
Kent Winrich
Raleigh, NC

eadler

Post by eadler » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:26 am

I was hearing a station from clear across the country bashing into a local earlier this week. Fun stuff... except when I'm actually interested in what is on one of the two channels :). I've also been routinely hearing two out of market stations (one far to the north, one to the south, both with ample terrain shielding) either fighting each other or simply one of the two my entire drive to work. Mind you, I know people at both of them and have told them to stop fighting 8)
Eric "tonsofpcs" Adler
http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/
Twitter: @eric_adler

awsherrill

Post by awsherrill » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:12 pm

E-skip has been pretty good in the last couple of weeks. A couple of days ago, I was hearing stations in Texas while driving home near Raleigh, NC.

A couple of weeks ago, I heard a station in the Duluth, MN vicinity, and the day after that I caught one of my former fellow Journal outlets in Wichita KS...on the same drive home.

To keep more or less on topic, I couldn't tell if any of these catches were HD, since I don't have a receiver.

Ten meters has been fairly active too.

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:20 pm

I received WMFE-FM in HD from Orlando, Florida, here at my location in Rhode Island a couple of weeks ago during some ESkip.

I've seen a lot more RDS hits with it. Check out the DX forum here, I have posted my catches there....I will update tonight with Wednesday night's catches.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"