Eventual digital power?

IBOC, HD Radio, FM eXtra, DRM, Importers, Exporters, Exgines...digital radio spoken here!
ai4i

Eventual digital power?

Post by ai4i » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:58 pm

Will stations always be stuck with 1% digital power, or even 10% digital power, or will they, perhaps after their hybrid phases end, be able to resume operation at something more akin to their analog power levels? Maybe better receivers will help, but I am disappointed with the decreased range of the AM's and HD2's to which I listen.

Deep Thought

Re: Eventual digital power?

Post by Deep Thought » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:02 pm

There is no decreased range with IBOC. Just ask iBiquity. They'll tell you straight out. :lol:

The FM HD2 should have the same "range" as the main since it is the same data stream. Any station could go full digital right now but none are that insane, considering the consumer adoption rate. I'm still waiting for one of the incessant whiners who insist AM is dead to try one in digital-only mode at full power.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

countrykev

Re: Eventual digital power?

Post by countrykev » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:12 pm

Here's to hoping that the FCC makes a decision sometime soon about the power levels. My guess is we won't see 10%, but probably a compromise of 5-6% or so.

They definitely need to make a decision fast. There are a lot of stations waiting to do a conversion because they don't know what to buy. Well that, and the economy sucks too.
What the heck am I supposed to write here?