HD4!

IBOC, HD Radio, FM eXtra, DRM, Importers, Exporters, Exgines...digital radio spoken here!
K9EZ
Site Admin

HD4!

Post by K9EZ » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:39 am

While driving through Washington DC last night, one station WJFK was running an HD4. It is a sports stations so they had Fox Sports on main, WJZ Baltimore on HD with baseball talk, their Philly sports station WIP on HD3 running the Fliers hockey game, and WFAN/WBBR New York running the Devils hockey game. VERY cool to be able to switch between hockey games!

Someone is sure thinking!
Kent Winrich
Owner, Consultant, Floor Sweeper and Official Thread Hijacker
Broadcast and Technology Blog http://sceotech.com/blog/
Raleigh, NC

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Re: HD4!

Post by BroadcastDoc » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:42 am

Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Wed May 19, 2010 10:12 am

Now let me get this straight! Just what do you say to the trooper that is questioning you after rear ending the semi in heavy stop and go traffic??? Well, ossifer, I was trying to listen and switch thru 4 games all at once on this here Digital HD radio, crack a fresh 6 pack and reach for the pretzels when that durn big truck up and stopped right in front of me! :lol: :lol:

Fossil

Muadeeb

Post by Muadeeb » Thu May 20, 2010 1:50 pm

Silly Pooh Bear. Don't you know that you're supposed to pull over to the side of the road before fiddling with the radio, talking on the phone, whacking your kids, or keying up your rig? Now, go back to your tree and have a kringle.
Procrastination I can totally do. I'm good at it, I have a black belt in procrastination, it's an art form for me, I'm the absolute King of, well, I'll finish this thought la

Chris from Milwaukee

Post by Chris from Milwaukee » Wed May 26, 2010 8:42 pm

So what would the bitrate be if there are four HDs? I would assume that it would be difficult to do this with music.
Chris from Milwaukee
Feeding Broadcast Engineers Worldwide
(And transmitter salesmen too!)

Shane

Post by Shane » Thu May 27, 2010 8:04 am

I'm going to take a stab at that question and say 16k. IIRC, the total of the HD streams maxes at 96. If you use half of that for your main channel, you have 48 left which you can divide as you see fit but for 3 "subs" you'd be looking at 16 for each. I'm not sure that you aren't allowed to use less than 48 for your main. Doc?
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Thu May 27, 2010 9:50 am

Correct. You'd need 48 for main. So in standard hybrid mode, you could do 48/16/16/16. You could also go into extended hybrid mode and get some additional bandwidth, but for a talk format 16 will work pretty well.
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum